• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You make a 6' epaulet sew it in, cut it off, repeat

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on addict
20200324_221055.jpg

Hopefully sizing works out, went with a 42

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore my vintage Schott today while running to get supplies for my cat (a very rugged activity).

The back is punctured because I sometimes hang this on the end of a chair. Realize most people wouldn't want this on a lambskin or shearling, but I don't think it's a big deal on a Schott.

View attachment 1359520

Loose grain wrinkling under the sleeve.

View attachment 1359521

Cuffs are dried and cracked.

View attachment 1359522

The jacket also has a mismatched grain, as you see on Fine Creek Leather jackets. The left panel has some weird grain. The right panel is smooth.

View attachment 1359524

When I first bought this jacket, I had a tailor replace the lining with boro fabric. I bought the fabric from a Japanese antiques dealer in NYC, who told me the fabric is from the early 20th century, but who really knows if that's true. The fabric has since developed a hole.

View attachment 1359525

I know I've posted these pics here before, but here they are again. Back is "autographed" by Colossus of Roads, a folk art hero of mine when I was a teen. He used to paint graffiti on railcars.

View attachment 1359532
View attachment 1359530
View attachment 1359531
View attachment 1359533

I think those heavy leathers look better when they're old and beat-up. If you're anything like me, you're basically a desk warrior who never moves. I imagine whatever damage you can put into the jacket is a good thing.

I hang all my clothes. There are guys on the Fedora Lounge forum who also treat their leathers in the way Lem describes above. They don't hang them. They only lay them on a chair or something. They cover them in dust bags and condition them. I don't get it, tbh. I just can't imagine having a jacket take up that much space, like on my floor, or dedicating a chair to jacket storage.

On a fine lambskin jacket, I get that you don't want a bump though. I looked at my NMWA hanger today and the shoulder is totally smooth. Do you have a metal thing coming up from the top?
Doesn’t that lining make it a bit of a pain to get the jacket on and off

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those fit TTS so as long as you did that youre good

I'm 42 in pretty much most things. I went off of the measurements online. The 40 was an inch too slim.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Doesn’t that lining make it a bit of a pain to get the jacket on and off

Surprisingly not. I imagine it would though if I were to wear something wooly like a sweater, but I only ever really wear it over t-shirts.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FCL has a jacket called leon which is a classic rider w/epaulets and belt. They also have a variation of the same jacket that has the epaulets and belt cut off after the manufacturing. The story is that punks used to buy double riders and cut off epaulets/belt for a more punk look. FCL follows that history and does the same.

There's actually one more variation, the Leon without epaulets and belt but with nothing cut off. They just haven't added epaulets and the belt to that version.

Nice story. But I still wouldn't buy a brand new jacket with stuff cut off from it. And I am pretty sure most of us wouldn't even consider it, if it wasn't for the fact the FCL is behind these shenanigans.

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's actually one more variation, the Leon without epaulets and belt but with nothing cut off. They just haven't added epaulets and the belt to that version.

Nice story. But I still wouldn't buy a brand new jacket with stuff cut off from it. And I am pretty sure most of us wouldn't even consider it, if it wasn't for the fact the FCL is behind these shenanigans.

haven’t seen a jacket like what you describe on their site.

idk I didn’t overthink it, jacket fit well so i preordered and am happy

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 42 in pretty much most things. I went off of the measurements online. The 40 was an inch too slim.
excuse my ignorance, I'm new to this thread but by saying 42 are we talking the same measurement in suit size or is this number generated somewhere else?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads