• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, I thought you just said you didn't? And that you preferred more directional stuff?

Anyway, my go to uniform during autumn and winter is Viberg side zips or Viberg engineers, orslow 105 or 316 SLs, some kind of shirt (probably chambray) and then flannel shirt/chore jacket/work shirt/sweatshirt/etc with M65/Pea Coat/Parka/J-100 on top. If that's a middle aged dad then so be it. I'll pull out the ol' black 5zip to make things a bit more directional now and again. 😉
I like some of that repro stuff. I think it looks good on Ethan and some of the guys who show up at Inspiration LA. I think @UrbanComposition has a Real McCoys DR, and it looks good on him. I can't put a finger on it, but there's something about that repro stuff that sometimes also looks a little too musty for me.

Prob true for anything. Sometimes a look works, sometimes it doesn't.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like some of that repro stuff. I think it looks good on Ethan and some of the guys who show up at Inspiration LA. I think @UrbanComposition has a Real McCoys DR, and it looks good on him. I can't put a finger on it, but there's something about that repro stuff that sometimes also looks a little too musty for me.

Prob true for anything. Sometimes a look works, sometimes it doesn't.
Yeah. Only rule worth obeying is "if it works, it works".

Anyway. There are so many normative voices out there telling people what they should wear, that I more and more tend to just get stuff that I really just enjoy wearing. For me.

Last edited:

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously I have a soft spot for workwear-y stuff (thus the Flat Head and Schott jackets) but if it’s not worn in, it can look nerdy and smack of cosplay. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but it’s a fine line. Those kinds of leather jackets look good with a bit of dirt and grime and whiskey stains, which is part of the reason why used ones fetch coin even if they’re old.

On that note, I met the guys from Fine Creek Leathers at the Self Edge party the other night (sup @kiya) and although they wore their jackets in a non-traditional way (baggy jeans and sneakers) it looked good because everything was well-worn and not babied.

dhoff10

Reaction score
Any thoughts on Aero as a maker?
They're fantastic. In this video and tour of their factory the host gets I think the exact jacket you mentioned for your DR. The only reason I suggested including others in your search is Aero makes a point of not trying for an exact fit. I guess they think this is against the spirit of what they do.

Their board racer and cafe racer center zip jackets are very popular and imo easier to pull off than a DR

Centaurus3200

Reaction score
Nice, but how many ways can manufacturers reinterpret the A2 and the G1?

I guess there's always a market for those who don't want to buy from a repro house like ELC, goodwear, aero, etc.

Few nice ones by Officine Generale this season

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone who has done custom sizing with Schott? What are your experiences?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I like that stuff too! Just personally not into that Fedora Lounge look.

I don't know what separates Fedora Lounge from other repro-styled looks. Sometimes that stuff works and sometimes it feels kind of musty.
I think that it's mostly the person. One could say the same about some guys in suits who look like anachronisms, and others look more "modern" for the lack of a better word.

Nick Mundo

Reaction score
All three all my grails, but I can only have one...for now.

I can incorporate all three into my wardrobe, so no worries there. Just interested to hear what everyone thinks.
Definitely 3! I am looking to get a similar one from Bodaskins, the shearling looks incredibly comfortable!

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely 3! I am looking to get a similar one from Bodaskins, the shearling looks incredibly comfortable!
#3 just arrived, and it’s a monster. Definitely one of my favorite purchases of all time. A deceptively simple and flattering jacket, and crazy dense shearling. I think I’ll only be able to wear a t shirt or thin sweater underneath.

WBaker

Reaction score
@UrbanComposition Ive had the same experience with Acne, they really source top notch shearling. If its anything like my Aiden coat they also added tons of details and trims in a nice leather. I always enjoy clothes where you spot corners that could have been cut but weren't.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40