• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leonard Leroy

Reaction score
Just bought myself an Undercover Ethnic Rider. A black one. I need to lose weight before it'll look good on me; I bought it for the sake of collection, always wanted one, and I got a good deal on it.

I think the design on it is world class. In my possession, the sleeves feel hand knit, and I'm tempted to boil the wool to tighten, maybe get the knit to cling together.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 170

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For when you're afraid you might forget to pick up a Sassicaia on the way home...

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's cool. Details like that are cool. I actually like that second jacket and usually think DRs are awful.

paborden

Reaction score
So, I'm thinking about building a quiver of leather jackets, since to this point I've owned all of none.

Debating between makers and such, curious what you all think. In general, I need to fine makers who can adjust arm and torso length given my height

1) A-1

I love this photo, apparently it's Eastman

tumblr_oohh2iuBLa1qad1efo1_1280.jpg

That said Aero makes something similar

100591c616654094_A-1-front-500.jpg

At least during my talks with Aero they have expressed that they can modify length and such. No idea about the quality of Aero vs Eastman. Aero is cheaper.

2) Motorcycle Jacket

I love the Armoury / Real McCoy's collab but needed a 46 if I were to wear it with knitwear, so that wasn't happening.

Aero makes this which looks pretty awesome

265b3ca6eb40160_Front500.jpg

3) Shearling

And then there's shearling. Debating between the Aero D-1

3145a0_93c64de0af384394a4b500ae1b94364e~mv2.webp

And the Schott

3145a0_2088620979014755a7233f3b9ffd628d~mv2.webp

The latter of which people seem to love. Probably because it's cut not in an era appropriate way but a more modern one.

Curious to everyone's thoughts ...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think it depends on the look you want to go for. The DR is going to be the most visually aggressive of the three. The shearling is going to fit kind of big, but I think that looks suitable for the style. Some guys like slimmer clothing though. And shearling wears warm.

The A-1 is either going to look Fedora Loungey or Inspiration LA workwear. It's a fine line. I'm personally less into that repro workwear type stuff these days, but to the degree I think that look works, I think it's better when it's more directional and not "middle aged dad who saw a movie about aviators and wanted to get this jacket to spec." If you're going to wear it like Ethan, I think it could look good. But if you're going to do something more conservative, I think you'd be better off with a Valstarino.

PME Legend

Reaction score
So, I'm thinking about building a quiver of leather jackets, since to this point I've owned all of none.

Debating between makers and such, curious what you all think. In general, I need to fine makers who can adjust arm and torso length given my height

1) A-1

At least during my talks with Aero they have expressed that they can modify length and such. No idea about the quality of Aero vs Eastman. Aero is cheaper.

2) Motorcycle Jacket

I love the Armoury / Real McCoy's collab but needed a 46 if I were to wear it with knitwear, so that wasn't happening.

3) Shearling

And the Schott

The latter of which people seem to love. Probably because it's cut not in an era appropriate way but a more modern one.

FWIW, and IMHO;
The A1 i personally don't like at all, not the aero nor the eastman but it's just not my style.

The perfecto is awesome!!! I actually tried one one myself this week, one from Daytona73, french brand and muuuuuuch cheaper than your aero i'm sure. I'm now thinking of getting a schott 618 perfecto.

For the lammy i'd prefer the schott...

paborden

Reaction score
To be clear, I'm not deciding between styles but within them. I'll probably get a D1/B3 and a motorcycle for sure, though it is indeed a good point that a Valstarino may be better than the A-1. Then again, I can't really do a Valstarino because of the sleeves but could go Anglo Italian

dhoff10

Reaction score

1) A-1

2) Motorcycle Jacket

3) Shearling

And the Schott

My 2 cents on your motorcycle DR concept is it's a difficult look to pull off and you're going to want a perfect fit. I would include Langlitz and Himel in my search as they consistently nail the fit.

Backhand

Reaction score
I inherited a large # of deer hides and am having a jacket mtm from them (1 hide was from the first buck I took as a teenager aeons ago... not something I do anymore but Id like to use these in a meaningful way). My first mtm actually. It will be a ruddy saddle colored buckskin as a half belted delivery style coat kinda like this: http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=2214

Im working out how long I want it to be as I prefer slightly longer jackets (I already have a water buffalo car coat and a burgundy goat blazer). Id like it to be like this without the fuzzy collar: https://www.schottnyc.com/products/leather-car-coat.htm?color=1&catID=5

I am thinking somewhere between 30 and 31 inches long from the collar edge to coat bottom. It seems like mid length coats are rare but the are my go to. Should I just make it slightly longer than most of my casual blazers that I live in (they hover at 30 inches). Anything to worrry about with buckskin stretching more than most other leathers? Any favorite mid length and delivery coats out there?

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on the look you want to go for. The DR is going to be the most visually aggressive of the three. The shearling is going to fit kind of big, but I think that looks suitable for the style. Some guys like slimmer clothing though. And shearling wears warm.

The A-1 is either going to look Fedora Loungey or Inspiration LA workwear. It's a fine line. I'm personally less into that repro workwear type stuff these days, but to the degree I think that look works, I think it's better when it's more directional and not "middle aged dad who saw a movie about aviators and wanted to get this jacket to spec." If you're going to wear it like Ethan, I think it could look good. But if you're going to do something more conservative, I think you'd be better off with a Valstarino.

What does "directional" mean in this context? Serious question.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What does "directional" mean in this context? Serious question.

Basically weird, avant-garde, designer, etc.

I generally think of leather jackets as being one of three types.

There's workwear. This is basically RRL, Aero, Buzz Rickson, Schott, etc.

Then there's contemporary or classic-contemporary. This can be anything from ToJ to Valstarino to Ralph Lauren. Basically, stuff that takes inspiration from workwear jackets, but softens them up a little for people who don't want to look overly rugged. They want to look modern.

Then there's directional, avant-garde type jackets, which is like Rick Owens, Zamb, Margiela, etc. This isn't workwear (rugged) but it's also more intentional than contemporary, which often feels like it's designed for guys who don't want to stick out too much (Sando is a perfect example of that kind of thing).

These aren't exclusive categories. Sometimes Margiela is very contemporary. Sometimes guys can wear Schott in a more contemporary way. I just think of them as being broad categories.

Sometimes guys think leather jackets aren't for them because they don't want to look overly rugged, so then maybe contemporary is better for them. Or when you look at Fedora Lounge guys, they'll poo poo contemporary and directional cause it's not rugged enough (what they mean when they say "quality"). Or sometimes guys look at directional stuff and think it's too fashion-y, so maybe they'd prefer classic/ rugged stuff. When choosing a leather jacket, I generally think it's good to start with what kind of look you're trying to create, rather than get caught up in ideas about quality or value, which can be very dependent on the aesthetic.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically weird, avant-garde, designer, etc.

I generally think of leather jackets as being one of three types.

There's workwear. This is basically RRL, Aero, Buzz Rickson, Schott, etc.

Then there's contemporary or classic-contemporary. This can be anything from ToJ to Valstarino to Ralph Lauren. Basically, stuff that takes inspiration from workwear jackets, but softens them up a little for people who don't want to look overly rugged. They want to look modern.

Then there's directional, avant-garde type jackets, which is like Rick Owens, Zamb, Margiela, etc. This isn't workwear (rugged) but it's also more intentional than contemporary, which often feels like it's designed for guys who don't want to stick out too much (Sando is a perfect example of that kind of thing).

These aren't exclusive categories. Sometimes Margiela is very contemporary. Sometimes guys can wear Schott in a more contemporary way. I just think of them as being broad categories.

Sometimes guys think leather jackets aren't for them because they don't want to look overly rugged, so then maybe contemporary is better for them. Or when you look at Fedora Lounge guys, they'll poo poo contemporary and directional cause it's not rugged enough (what they mean when they say "quality"). Or sometimes guys look at directional stuff and think it's too fashion-y, so maybe they'd prefer classic/ rugged stuff. When choosing a leather jacket, I generally think it's good to start with what kind of look you're trying to create, rather than get caught up in ideas about quality or value, which can be very dependent on the aesthetic.

But... I kinda like repro jackets like RMC and Buzz. Does that make me a middle aged dad (actually, I am) who wants to be an aviator? Say it ain't so.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But... I kinda like repro jackets like RMC and Buzz. Does that make me a middle aged dad (actually, I am) who wants to be an aviator? Say it ain't so.

I like that stuff too! Just personally not into that Fedora Lounge look.

I don't know what separates Fedora Lounge from other repro-styled looks. Sometimes that stuff works and sometimes it feels kind of musty.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that stuff too! Just personally not into that Fedora Lounge look.

I don't know what separates Fedora Lounge from other repro-styled looks. Sometimes that stuff works and sometimes it feels kind of musty.

Oh, I thought you just said you didn't? And that you preferred more directional stuff?

Anyway, my go to uniform during autumn and winter is Viberg side zips or Viberg engineers, orslow 105 or 316 SLs, some kind of shirt (probably chambray) and then flannel shirt/chore jacket/work shirt/sweatshirt/etc with M65/Pea Coat/Parka/J-100 on top. If that's a middle aged dad then so be it. I'll pull out the ol' black 5zip to make things a bit more directional now and again. ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads