• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice!

Speaking of the HB. I often see different backs on them. Some have "pleats" at the top of the belt and some have a plain flat back panel. Why is this? Is it just something people have chosen to customize?

An action back is for reaching for motorcycle handlebars. It helps ease shoulder movement. Same design on a Norfolk Hunting jacket for shooting.

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talking of dark burgundy leather jackets, I bought my only leather jacket (so far) three years ago, just before stumbling across SF. It's a Gustin L1, Horween #8 color steerhide, and at $650 was by quite a margin the most expensive piece of clothing I had ever bought. I've been grateful ever since that I took a flyer on it.

Gustin, bless them, were my gateway drug into buying clothes from somewhere that wasn't the mall. I've moved on since then, but as well as the jacket I still enjoy wearing some of their jeans and OCBD's.

I wouldn't buy a leather jacket from them if I was making the purchase now, but I was delighted when I got it and I'm still really happy with it. It's super substantial and really gives that feeling of wearing armor. It has a bit of loose grain on one of the front panels but I'm probably the only person who notices that.

I will probably buy a brown leather jacket once my kids have finished university, but this one is a real pleasure to wear every time I put it on.

20181005 Gustin #8 leather jacket - BB pink knit shirt - Gustin black jeans - Alden black AWW ...JPG

NycLondon

Reaction score
It's a major line that has far outlasted other lines, and apparently, the combined fashion lines and licenses bring in about $1B annually (who knows what is the net, but I heard someone say that they are both worth over $200M). Fashion is their major source of revenue at this point, and they've certainly kept themselves relevant and successful long after Full House - which is more than most sitcom actors can say.
Yes they are very impressive women.
They deserve huge credit to rise above the "twin thing" from Full House.
But The Row is 1-billion? Give me real data.
Chanel is 11-billion.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes they are very impressive women.
They deserve huge credit to rise above the "twin thing" from Full House.
But The Row is 1-billion? Give me real data.
Chanel is 11-billion.
I didn't say that the Row was worth $1B. I said that the fashion empire that they built had revenues estimated at $1B. They own Dualstar Entertainment, which has a variety of holdings. I mean, I can't give you real data, you are asking for evidence that I simply have no access to, and are putting an unfair burden of proof on me, but I mean, you can google for yourself. Here is just one article of many of them:
Elle, perhaps a more credible source, cites them as having a net worth, currently, over $400M combined:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice!

Speaking of the HB. I often see different backs on them. Some have "pleats" at the top of the belt and some have a plain flat back panel. Why is this? Is it just something people have chosen to customize?

They are all based off vintage pieces, some more complicated than others. I'd assume that the more complex, pleated designs were a combination of a showcase of the maker's abilities and additional range of motion. I much prefer the plain back.

Aero Premier 30's HB

934552f71da91bc2_italianrussetprem1930sback-500.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Row is first and foremost a womenswear line. The womenswear stuff looks nice, but the menswear collection looks like a complete afterthought. Here's their leather jacket, which sells for $6k. I mean, come on ...

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The Row is first and foremost a womenswear line. The womenswear stuff looks nice, but the menswear collection looks like a complete afterthought. Here's their leather jacket, which sells for $6k. I mean, come on ...

View attachment 1270195

Well if it is made from unblemished sacrificial lambs, of course 6K is reasonable

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
These are actually Manhattan lambs. They hung outside of cool NYC art nouveau parties while smoking cigarettes, looking unimpressed, and wearing drapey, all black clothing.
well maybe the design is minimal because it was inspired by "the silence of the lambs!"

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1270195
It's for wealthy people who want to look like they are from Manhattan, as opposed to rich people who want to look like that are from North Jersey, who generally prefer Brioni.

happyriverz

Reaction score
It's for wealthy people who want to look like they are from Manhattan, as opposed to rich people who want to look like that are from North Jersey, who generally prefer Brioni.

hot take: Brioni is pretty good. I managed to get a navy suit this summer at a steal in the Brioni model that is supposed to be the classic fit. It just looks “timeless” in that I can’t think of any situation that would call for a sober suit that this Brioni suit would not be appropriate for.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Are there any other makers of classic suits that you wouldn't say the same for? (I'm not disparaging Brioni - they definitely worked well for Brosnan's 007 two decades ago - better than how Tom Ford works for Craig recently).

Back on leather, here's some inspiration from 1983:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hot take: Brioni is pretty good. I managed to get a navy suit this summer at a steal in the Brioni model that is supposed to be the classic fit. It just looks “timeless” in that I can’t think of any situation that would call for a sober suit that this Brioni suit would not be appropriate for.

This recent season is meh. There was a flash of cool when that lady from margielas team too over. 26-brioni-mens-fw18-lookbook.jpg 09-brioni-mens-fw18-lookbook.jpg 16-brioni-mens-fw18-lookbook.jpg 24-brioni-mens-fw18-lookbook.jpg 27-brioni-mens-fw18-lookbook.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads