• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i like the dr better. although both have slightly too long sleeves. i imagine they'll shorten with wear though.

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Johnson leathers?
I've had two custom jackets made with them over the phone and email.
I've snipped off the tassels since receiving this second one.

Alan is a pleasure to work with, just be very specific with what you're looking to do.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had two custom jackets made with them over the phone and email.
I've snipped off the tassels since receiving this second one.

Alan is a pleasure to work with, just be very specific with what you're looking to do.

Your take on a Lewis Dominator? Looks great. Alan did a great job with yours.

Curious how you conveyed your idea. Can you describe the communication details? Did you model it specifically after the LL 551 and then send measurements? I love how they do a canvas mockup to determine fit. Such a great idea.

IG post was in May. How's it look now?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Speaking of suede trucker jackets, what do you guys think of this one for the price? Still seems a little high, and I do not love the "Polo" branding above the pocket, but I love the idea of a suede trucker.

Polo Suede Trucker

I picked that up for circa $400 last year.

Polo branding was easily removed with a seam ripped. With the lining it’s a bit heavier than I prefer but overall I like it.

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked that up for circa $400 last year.

Polo branding was easily removed with a seam ripped. With the lining it’s a bit heavier than I prefer but overall I like it.

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, I slept on it too long and it’s gone.

wj94

Reaction score
Anyone heard of (or have a jacket from) Atelier Savas? I randomly came across her IG page and these are some of the best looking leather jackets I've ever seen. Not cheap by any means at $2500-5000+, but the quality looks incredible. The $5k+ ones are made to measure.

IG link - https://www.instagram.com/savas/
Site link - https://www.ateliersavas.com/

Examples:

ogYiyW5.jpg

ZPWBs7Z.jpg

T1FgdoU.jpg

6DGrK7h.jpg

yzE4hBv.jpg

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny enough, I was gonna ask the same thing.

Somebody on here (@dieworkwear ?) posted this WSJ story on her and this Bloomberg video a while back.

I'm considering buying up the last issue of that Denham jacket in the first pic, though I really shouldn't. Scratches a bunch of itches at once. That brown leather second from the bottom looks phenomenal.

If I was in a "price is no object" position I'd get a bespoke piece from her. She has really nice designs in general, everything just looks right.

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your take on a Lewis Dominator? Looks great. Alan did a great job with yours.

Curious how you conveyed your idea. Can you describe the communication details? Did you model it specifically after the LL 551 and then send measurements? I love how they do a canvas mockup to determine fit. Such a great idea.

IG post was in May. How's it look now?

Thanks. Yes this is my take on the 551. I didn't like Lewis Leather's logo patch among other things like their quilted lining and sleeve pocket position.

They sent their M-200 as a try on. From there feedback was given on the fit before a mock up was made with changes I wanted. I requested that the zipper pulls on the chest face inward, sleeve pocket brought up to the bicep, no action back on the shoulders, and have a wind flap added. As for fit, we took off 1'' from the chest, waist and bottom, 3/4'' off the biceps, and 1/2'' at the elbows.

It's still too hot in nyc to wear it.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a jacket made by them, and then altered by them. It's now a bit tight, a few years later, but it's a solid piece of work.

Same. The alteration work they did for me was top notch and I'd recommend them without hesitation..

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sinnedk You put much wear on your IHJ-35 yet?

I still don't totally love how it looks fresh out of the box, but I'm thinking that's probably because I'm comparing it in my head to a bunch of worn-in Board Racers. And yet I can't find many pics of the Iron Heart with wear on it.

IH_BLK_LEATHER_03-682x1022.jpg

That or it's got the sort of leather that just takes a long time to show wear. The body always looks a bit stiff to me in pics.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@sinnedk You put much wear on your IHJ-35 yet?

I still don't totally love how it looks fresh out of the box, but I'm thinking that's probably because I'm comparing it in my head to a bunch of worn-in Board Racers. And yet I can't find many pics of the Iron Heart with wear on it.

IH_BLK_LEATHER_03-682x1022.jpg

That or it's got the sort of leather that just takes a long time to show wear. The body always looks a bit stiff to me in pics.

Sorry bud, but I don’t have a fit pod of it right now. But here is a pic of what it looks like. Lots of wear for approx a year, haven’t worn it currently due to bay area summer.
5647DA27-CA14-4F4C-94D5-8B810A7E1745.jpeg

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Looks a lot like what I think I've seen elsewhere...it's a leather that stays looking new for a pretty long time!

Which probably means my Hermosa Beach-living ass would have it start looking the way I like sometime in 2030 or so.

By the way, there's a steal on that jacket in a 38 over on Grailed right now. Seller seems like a nice guy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads