• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll consider the gussets but unfortunately they can't change the shoulders or chest measurements, they can only customize the sleeve/body length and take in the waist on stock pattern sizes.
Try the cafe racer then.

Why can’t they adjust shoulders, that’s odd.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In this case, you can take all the opinions and see how they coincide with your own. Ultimately, you’re the one that’ll live with it.

I have round delts as well, and while I don’t mind that showing through shirts, I personally dislike it on jackets, so I get my jackets (leather and otherwise) to go out near the outer edge of my shoulders. Plus, it aids in movement and ease when riding.

If you don’t like that look, and want to be able to move comfortably, I’d opt for back gussets.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll consider the gussets but unfortunately they can't change the shoulders or chest measurements, they can only customize the sleeve/body length and take in the waist on stock pattern sizes.
FWIW @ntempleman also bought the Aero Board Racer and had them widen out the shoulder measurements. I think he bought it direct from Aero though.

Maybe just be careful about playing around too much with measurements. Sometimes if you change the measurements too much, you can introduce new problems. I think @LaymanX has a bit of experience using Aero's custom program.

ntempleman

Reaction score
Yeah Aero widened the shoulders on my 38” BR, as well as lengthen the sleeves and the body. This was directly with them, I sent them a few photos of my sport coats and measurements when laid flat, so they added 1/4” to each shoulder, 1/2” to the body length and 2” to the sleeves. I didn’t specifically ask for any adjustments to be done, they just did as they saw fit and sent it out. Turned out spot on

walds11

Reaction score
I agree with others that the shoulders are tight. What did Carrie say about the fit?

I went through the process with Carrie at TB late last year. She was great to deal with, but I’ll never go through the fit jacket process again. The process was a PITA. Long story, but I ended up selling my Aero Seven because it was not the ideal fit.

walds11

Reaction score
That’s the problem with MTO, you sometimes wind up with something great or a fail. And the fails are costly as shit. Approx $1200-1500 of MTO and resale cuz of odd measurements is half that.
Yes sir. No more MTO for me. I already satisfied my leather jacket fix with an SLP Cafe Racer in lambskin back in March. All is good now!

Reaction score
FWIW @ntempleman also bought the Aero Board Racer and had them widen out the shoulder measurements. I think he bought it direct from Aero though.

Maybe just be careful about playing around too much with measurements. Sometimes if you change the measurements too much, you can introduce new problems. I think @LaymanX has a bit of experience using Aero's custom program.
Didn't know Aero can do that, I'm going through Thurston and according to them certain measurements are static. They did mention that they can only bring in the waist on a specific pattern by 2 inches total circumference, as more than that can create problems like you said. I'm guessing Thurston doesn't allow certain changes to be on the safe side.

Reaction score
I agree with others that the shoulders are tight. What did Carrie say about the fit?

I went through the process with Carrie at TB late last year. She was great to deal with, but I’ll never go through the fit jacket process again. The process was a PITA. Long story, but I ended up selling my Aero Seven because it was not the ideal fit.
Carrie told me it was snug but will loosen and stretch in high tension areas, which I have experienced with another jacket but it's risky to gauge how it will break in on such an expensive jacket. I have to say though that the new vicenza leather was stiffer then I expected, within a couple times of trying it on it already got more comfortable. What problems did you have with your Aero? It might help me with the process.

walds11

Reaction score
Carrie told me it was snug but will loosen and stretch in high tension areas, which I have experienced with another jacket but it's risky to gauge how it will break in on such an expensive jacket. I have to say though that the new vicenza leather was stiffer then I expected, within a couple times of trying it on it already got more comfortable. What problems did you have with your Aero? It might help me with the process.
It was very snug in the chest and waist, even after Carrie recommended adding .25” to each side (add .50 to total chest/waist circumference). The poor fit led to significant puckering in the front shoulder area. Other than the fit and the Vicenza being heavy and stiff, it was a decent jacket.

Skanstull

Reaction score
Hey everyone I've been lurking this thread and ended up placing a custom order for an Aero board racer from Thurston bros. I have a slim yet muscular T- shaped frame and It's been a daunting process trying to find a jacket with the features I want and one that fits me well. I got this fit jacket in and wanted to hear some opinions on the fit in the upper body (I can get the waist tapered). I'm worried its a little tight and should have gone with the wider cafe racer model.
I think you have an Aero Cafe Racer body shape rather than a Board Racer body shape.

Bullitt

Reaction score
Hey everyone I've been lurking this thread and ended up placing a custom order for an Aero board racer from Thurston bros. I have a slim yet muscular T- shaped frame and It's been a daunting process trying to find a jacket with the features I want and one that fits me well. I got this fit jacket in and wanted to hear some opinions on the fit in the upper body (I can get the waist tapered). I'm worried its a little tight and should have gone with the wider cafe racer model.

Don't buy a leather jacket that might stretch to the right size, buy something that fits well. Size up, while keeping the length. Or try an Aero Cafe Racer instead. If you order a custom jacket, you can get a CR with all features of the BR.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.