1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. dangerous

dangerous Senior Member

That's how these were from the beginning. I'll attach another picture:

[​IMG]

I understand what you mean, I just wonder if there's a way to make it sit "properly", like waxing it or something else, that makes it stick longer.

I'm handing it to a tailor, I just want to know what I should ask about to make it last longer than the 5-10 wears it did out of the factory. I'm also e-mailing Levi's about it.

Thank you all for all the help, you're awesome guys.

2. Understatesman

Understatesman Senior Member

Ugh, you guys aren't making this any easier... But I am going to send it back. When seen full-body, the jacket wears like it's cropped too much. I'll attach a pic.

For reference, there are the specs between the Falcon and the FCL:

Falcon DR2
    Shoulders: 17”
    Sleeve: 24.5”
    Back length: 23.8”
    Pit-to-pit: 19.5”
    Waist: 18.6”

FCL Leon
    Shoulders: 16.5”
    Sleeve: 23.5”
    Back length: 23.25”
    Pit-to-pit: 19”
    Waist: 18”

EDIT: Both sets of pics below depict the FCL jacket.

IMG_3929.PNG

IMG_39342.png

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019

3. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Distinguished Member

The Falcon, with the larger measurements, seems more flattering to my eyes.

4. dangerous

dangerous Senior Member

I agree. I think the colour contrast of the different shirts affect the appeal too. The smaller one is too short IMO.

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

IMO, if you just sized up, you would take care of all those issues -- the length, the width of the shoulders, the width of the chest, etc. I think it's fine for a jacket to be cropped, but that particular size doesn't look right for you.

6. d4nimal

d4nimal Senior Member

Dieworkwear already said it, but just to confirm this should be a fairly quick and simple repair. Basically, it's sewn normally as you might imagine (though I use a pin tucked above the button surface to give the thread some slack for the shank later), then on your last pass, you wrap it around the thread shaft you've made and tuck it again back down under and tie on the inside. It sounds complicated, but in practice it's super easy. If you ever need to put back on a coat button or something else that lies above the surface, it's a good skill to have in your back pocket for life. With leather, you might be able to also just use the same holes to thread your thread up, but leather isn't like normal fabric that you can just poke easily and not worry about if you make a wrong hole. You'll also probably need some stronger thread than your average home sewing kit thread for this type of work. As you said, you're probably right to just bring it to the tailor as it may take them all the time you're talking to them to fix it and hand it back to you.

I wouldn't worry too much about what to do to make sure it doesn't happen again, as long as the thread isn't wimpy. Loose buttons are somewhat a part of life. I sometimes oversew mine and tie a few extra times to make myself feel better, but who knows if that actually treats anything aside from my own anxiety.

7. jet

jet Persian Bro

i think we've spent enough time on this guys buttons he can take to a tailor

let's talk about understatesman's undersized leathers

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Stylish Dinosaur

9. Superglu

Superglu Well-Known Member

I have a question I wanted to pose to everyone, but especially to @dieworkwear. How do you reconcile leather jackets, which are typically relatively form fitting, with moving toward a looser, fuller wardrobe? I find that my cafe racer looks unbalanced when I wear any type of baggier pants, and similarly I can't really layer anything slouchy under it due to both looseness and length. Should the two styles just be kept separate?

10. Understatesman

Understatesman Senior Member

All this talk about my undersized leathers has me feeling like I'm the new version of some poster (male/female/not sure) I used to read who posted on raw denim forums a ways back. S/he was like 70 years old, 4 feet tall, 70 lbs at most and with 50+ pairs of raw denim she kept updating about breaking in, etc. What a weirdo. Anyone else remember that? I forget what forum it was... S/he still alive?

11. jet

jet Persian Bro

@hirsch

not sure why she was banned

12. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

I personally only wear slim pants with leather jackets. Fuller fitting stuff, at least for me, is topcoats, robe coats, and camp collar shirts. My leather jackets tend to be fairly workwear-ish or the sort of contemporary stuff like that suede SLP earlier or a Margiela five-zip.

Lemaire has done leather jackets in the past. I assume there's a lookbook or runway photo floating around somewhere. Personally, I find those kind of hard to pull off. It's like those old Armani lookboks -- super cool to look at, but hard to wear in a contemporary sense. I'm sure some designer will come up with a new, looser way to wear leather jackets soon, but I haven't seen anything super convincing so far.

If you try something though, I would do something like a very soft lambskin DR with very wide pants. It's a fairly feminine silhouette/ combo, but fashion is moving towards the unisex anyway.

13. UrbanComposition

I actually really like the look of a slim top and full trousers, but I have no idea if that would translate to leather jackets. Probably because I can only visualize jeans with moto jackets, and I really don’t want baggy denim to ever come back, unless it’s with flannel shirts and mohair cardigans.

14. d4nimal

d4nimal Senior Member

Le-21eme-Adam-Katz-Sinding-Lono-Brazil-London-Fashion-Week-Mens-Fall-Winter-2017-2018_AKS5830.jpeg

On this topic

15. UrbanComposition

I kinda like that. Would prefer the pants longer with a full break, but still, not bad.