1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Watchman1

Watchman1 Distinguished Member

The Canadian maker Viberg use horsehide for many of its boot offerings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://viberg.com/products/service-boot-asphalt-horsebutt

2. bry2000

bry2000 Distinguished Member

Bergdorf carried that one this season. If someone is a size 54 or 56, you can still get it on sale, I believe.

3. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Distinguished Member

To clarify, by “traditional shoemakers” I meant the likes of Carmina, C&J, Edward Green, G&G, John Lobb etc, i.e. CM brands. I don’t think cost of the hide is a factor in some of these brands.

And I was talking about horsehide, not shell which is a different beast (and not even leather, technically!).

I own a pair in horse leather, actually (10sei0otto in Guidi horse).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019

4. Mulan

Mulan Distinguished Member

@gdl203 soooo pre orders next week?

5. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Opens Tue/Wed; closes Sunday

6. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Distinguished Member

This is for James Grose and Valstar preorders... right? I think that's the leathers being offered. Maybe there are surprises. There's a bunch of posts in the NMWA thread about what's on offer from Valstar, and some on James Grose shearlings as well. Assume there will be non-shearling offerings from JG too.

@sinnedk actually probably no then. I don't think feeling that the arm holes are uncomfortable is going to be good. That would probably make it a pass.

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Correct. JG classic leathers are also offered in all available colors MTO without the MTO charge (but you’ll have to wait for delivery as they get produced with the fall order, hence the waiver of custom fee).

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Stylish Dinosaur

That’s what led me to the skepticism to begin with. I presume the leather would stretch a tad over time and mold to me. I just wonder if that’s an intended fit.

I am surprised no one else noticed that on the leon custom.

9. nineohtoo

nineohtoo Senior Member

After seeing ghost (I think it was him?) wearing an old Helmut Lang suede shirt, I bought one of those Our Legacy ones.
    It's definitely one of my favorite things to wear, usually with just a white tee, black jeans and Virgils, but despite my better judgement I also wear them with loose and stretchy pants with Rick Runners or various wool trousers with different Nikes. I know they've made various versions of this too, that don't look like cosplay at all imo. FWIW, neither does that Real McCoys one. I bet that would look fantastic with some serious wear on it.

[​IMG]

10. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

I'd say a suede shirt is about 500% easier to wear than a grain leather shirt. Easier without the western detailing, too.

11. Callusing

Callusing Senior Member

Big fan of those. OL doesn't fit me well anymore, but when it did I got my hands on one of those and was really impressed. It's a piece that just works with a lot of different fits, the suede itself is really nice, and they pull out some really nice colors most seasons. I feel like they could almost work as a blazer substitute in a hipster-enough office.

The only downside in my mind is the fact that they're suede and have that completely unstructured construction means mine felt a bit "precious" - like it was something I'd be afraid to ever wear for fear of damaging it. Also, it was a pain in the ass to get on and off because of the unlined sleeves.

That all said, I sold my black 46 recently and I've got half a mind to try to make a 48 work if I can find one at the right price secondhand. If I get it cheap enough, I won't have to care if it gets scuffed up over time.

12. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

you guys are really out here wearing gothic ninja pants and hobo hippie space cowboy shoes talking about how a western yoke is hard to wear

13. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

The Falcon version is really nice, too (and lined), although unfortunately mine's too small for me at this point. I have a couple Gant Rugger snap-button (non-western) ones that I wear constantly. Definitely a step down from FG & OL, but a better fit than OL.

14. Callusing

Callusing Senior Member

Because, Mr. Workwear, a western yoke may cause people to think I'm something I'm not, while gothic ninja pants and hobo hippie space cowboy shoes will cause no such issue.

15. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Distinguished Member

In other news, I drunkenly ordered the Sandro jacket I posted the other day, this one.

A2ACA41E-38D5-44BF-9247-7D336DA70CFE.jpeg

Also, I remember when @tellure posted his entire collection and evolution over the years, and I loved that post. I wish more people did it. I might do it, actually, even if my collection is underwhelming compared to his.