1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Senior member

re: hangers for outerwear

I found some wide shouldered, velvet covered hangers on Ebay that match my shoulder measurement almost perfectly. I don't have a link and they weren't a mass produced item, but there are many options available on Ebay and you can message sellers to get s2s measurements.

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Depth-wise though, is your wide enough on the ends? I'm considering one of these with wider and more rounded edge.
    [​IMG]

3. Kvc06

Kvc06 Senior member

Mine looks like that^ It's Monler Gamme Bleu but the SA at Barneys gave me it with my BoO because she said it was the best they had. Also gave me a MGB cloth bag but I usually don't use that

4. ghostface

ghostface Senior member

5. 951socal

951socal Senior member

What does one wear with the jacket. Does it go well with denim and shoes or I don't know.

What do you wear it with I guess?

i know there are a lot of strong feelings for the brand but at $700 why not just get a rick leather off of gilt for $1000. there were a couple rick sales now.

i just don't like brands that do a majority of their business through word of mouth and forum adverts. Same thing with any vendors on ls1tech or any other forum.

forum based services tend to exclude anyone who doesn't follow their exact ideal.

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

i know there are a lot of strong feelings for the brand but at $700 why not just get a rick leather off of gilt for $1000. there were a couple rick sales now.

First of all, Rick rarely goes one sale for $1k or less, especially brand new. If you saw the Gilt sale, they didn't have a full size run of each jacket so it isn't as easy as you say to find RO on sale for less than $1k. That Gilt sale was the 2nd one I saw for Rick and the first one sucked badly, they only had one leather on sale.

Second, Rick Owens and ToJ have completely different aesthetics.

Third, ToJ is practically m2m.

7. wj4

wj4 Senior member

First of all, Rick rarely goes one sale for $1k or less, especially brand new. If you saw the Gilt sale, they didn't have a full size run of each jacket so it isn't as easy as you say to find RO on sale for less than $1k. That Gilt sale was the 2nd one I saw for Rick and the first one sucked badly, they only had one leather on sale.

Second, Rick Owens and ToJ have completely different aesthetics.

Yeah, ToJ and RO are completely 2 different styles.

8. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

4th, ToJ is better quality than RO

9. 951socal

951socal Senior member

most jackets hovered around there, but you could get pleanty of jakcets ranging from a MMM 5 zip to a used CCP jacket on ebay for the price of an TOJ leather, not to mention resaleablity and it would age much nicer.

20 years from now, when TOJ is a vague memory (or remembered as a second source of income for a guy on a forum who managed to source a small production at a local shop) that vintage rick owens leather would look just as nice as the ay you bought it

10. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

most jackets hovered around there, but you could get pleanty of jakcets ranging from a MMM 5 zip to a used CCP jacket on ebay for the price of an TOJ leather, not to mention resaleablity and it would age much nicer.

20 years from now, when TOJ is a vague memory (or remembered as a second source of income for a guy on a forum who managed to source a small production at a local shop) that vintage rick owens leather would look just as nice as the ay you bought it

you honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

11. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

why would the MMM "age nicer", serious question

12. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

it wouldn't, ignore him.

13. Emixam

Emixam Senior member

Was about to order a TOJ band collar, but ended up with buying a Attachment band collar instead.

Attachment Grey Goatskin Band Collar Leather

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

well done, it looks nice. Do you have close-up ? How much was it ?

14. 951socal

951socal Senior member

why would the MMM "age nicer", serious question

in my opinion they are cut better, less trendier. The label in the future would make it worth more than some leather made in some guy's garage who is praised becuase someone on a forum said he makes better jackets than owens.

inb4 who said his jakcets are better than owens.

You, unless you forgot

4th, ToJ is better quality than RO

15. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

in my opinion they are cut better, less trendier. The label in the future would make it worth more than some leather made in some guy's garage who is praised becuase someone on a forum said he makes better jackets than owens.

we're not actually buying them to resell.

also, in 20 years the resale price is gonna be pretty shit anyway, whether it's dick or otherwise

16. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

You are saying MMM 5-zip cut is less trendy than ToJ? That makes no sense since ToJ follows a more classic style and MMM are cut fuller.

Again, these are not readily available. I haven't seen an MMM 5-zip on sale at ebay in my size for 1.5 years now. There are also 1 or 2 that goes for less than $1k, you act like you can go to ebay and see this anytime you want. Even on b/s forums it isn't readily available. I don't see many used CCP leathers around $700 range either.

You really do not know how these leather would age unless you actually have each for years. I have some Rick Owens leathers and the leather quality varies, some are spectacularly nice while others are very thin. And since it doesn't seem like you've owned either RO or ToJ, I'm going to say you are less qualified to say how these leather will age compared to each others who has owned or has experience with the products.

17. coldforge

coldforge Senior member

Gothninja is less trendy than perfecto/moto variants?

18. 951socal

951socal Senior member

You are saying MMM 5-zip cut is less trendy than ToJ? That makes no sense since ToJ follows a more classic style and MMM are cut fuller.

Again, these are not readily available. I haven't seen an MMM 5-zip on sale at ebay in my size for 1.5 years now. There are also 1 or 2 that goes for less than $1k, you act like you can go to ebay and see this anytime you want. Even on b/s forums it isn't readily available. I don't see many used CCP leathers around $700 range either.

You really do not know how these leather would age unless you actually have each for years. I have some Rick Owens leathers and the leather quality varies, some are spectacularly nice while others are very thin. And since it doesn't seem like you've owned either RO or ToJ, I'm going to say you are less qualified to say how these leather will age compared to each others who has owned or has experience with the products.

to establish my point,
    i am willing to sell MY PERSONAL pre-diesel Maison martin margiela line 10 5 zip
    for what it will run you to get a TOJ jacket + shipping.

in a 50

19. wj4

wj4 Senior member

And since it doesn't seem like you've owned either RO or ToJ, I'm going to say you are less qualified to say how these leather will age compared to each others who has owned or has experience with the products.
    But bro...I've read through every single page of this thread so I AM an expert. Despite being a broke college student, I laugh at those peasants buying jackets that merely cost $700.

20. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

to establish my point, i am willing to sell MY PERSONAL pre-diesel Maison martin margiela line 10 5 zip for what it will run you to get a TOJ jacket + shipping. in a 50
    How's your calf compare to the calf on your old margiela 5-zip? I mean, we know your lamb's the tits but where do you think your calf ranks on the ladder of all calf leathers used?
    if you could see my MMM leather in person, this question is not even a question - the jacket looks cool because it's been worn to death for almost 12 years, but it's not high quality. The MMM calf is about one to one with the TOJ stuff on the topside finish though I might be edging the MMM out a bit, it's hard to tell since there isn't an unwrinkled spot on my MMM anywhere (our calf is near flawless in the hide and we pay a huge premium for that) but the MMM is very thin for calf, not even 3oz, more like 2oz (about 0.6-8mm, it's really quite thin), the lining is cheap cotton+viscose (that has gaping holes all over, and I have to stuff the strands of sleeve lining back into the sleeves), all the seams around the zippers and placket are just sewn and then excess edges are cut - when the seams break away from the stitching there's nothing to do about repairing it cleanly that way. The jacket is missing the little flashing details of leather that 'hide' the zips like on my TOJ jackets, etc, and the folded over/sewn seams. The MRS zippers are nice on the MMM, but pound for pound the YKK Japans are about as good functionally - which is why MMM themselves moved to the same YKK zips later on. If you ever look at the Junya X Vanson leathers, you see they use the same exact front zip as we do. It's the same part in a bright finish.
    [​IMG]