Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Dingobattler

Dingobattler Member

When I think of a person that is good looking in a DR, I think of Marlon Brando in the wild one, and he is definitely not skinny in that one. He has a massive chest, broad shoulders and very athletic build, no skinny jeans. The way he wears it is not the overly tight style of DR today, but looks like it fits just right, being quite boxy.

IMO, the issue with DRs today is overly skinny people wearing them overly tight, which makes it look like a normal jacket, instead of a DR with its huge lapels, and aggressive, loud construct.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Benesyed

Benesyed Distinguished Member

Exactly

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

That's a very retro, albeit cool, look. Not everyone is going for that vintage look though. That said, I've seen all shapes wearing DR and look good. It's as much about a combination of good styling and a fit that is consistent with the style, as much as anything. Marlon Brando can look good in a DR. The Ramones looked good in their "shrunken" DRs, and there is anything in between.

4. Dingobattler

Dingobattler Member

I think that's the safest look to look well with a DR and shows off everything that's unique about it. It's old fashioned, but you won't hear any opposition to that look beyond that.

Ramones look great in their tight DRs, but if you imagine them in tight cafe racers, they will achieve the same look. Also, they did not zip it up.

Fat is definitely the worst by far, but those are thankfully rare.

What I feel looks bad is the current profileration if skinny/average shaped guys and girls wearing ultra tight DRs in lambskin/pleather zipped up like a burrito. Just look at the difference between these two:

[​IMG]

Versus:

[​IMG]

5. Junglejack

Junglejack Well-Known Member

I think I mentioned this before, but I have a black Band of Outsiders Hooded Leather Anorak that I am quite fond of. I do wish there was not a string tie towards the bottom, button spite of being Lambswool, it is one of the most fragrant jackets I own. band-of-outsiders-black-leather-hooded-anorak-product-1-043953771-normal.jpeg that I am quite fond of. I do wish there was not a string tie towards the bottom, button spite of being Lambswool, it is one of the most fragrant jackets I own.

My personal fave is a Schott North Country Car Jacket (Style 569). Only issue I have is that it is really a two season jacket as it both weighs a ton and is insulated.
    2F5JL5HK.jpg

Apologies for not using the pictures I have, but my iPhone is hopefully in my car at the shop or worse MIA,

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I dunno. I think that both of those look good.

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

This looks sorta evokes Tom of Finland or Jean Genet novels now. Two very cool things IMHO but maybe keep the rider proportions you like and avoid the rest unless this is what you want.

tom-of-finland-750x563.jpg

8. gfmozart

gfmozart Senior Member

looking for a light leather hoodie or anorak-ish jacket. that looks nice. schott is really heavy.

9. Junglejack

Junglejack Well-Known Member

Thanks! I really am a huge fan of the BoA jacket. Indeed, the Schott is a beast which I suppose makes sense as car coats are designed to handle pretty extreme cold.

10. gfmozart

gfmozart Senior Member

I got the schott perfecto DR from MrP. It really looks amazing. I can only say that the schott DR fits very well despite not being one of the fashion brands of SLP etc. but it is really thick heavy steerhide.

I did however spy and am still spying on a leather hoodie. Some purists say that the leather hoodie is blasphemy, but it is an incestuous offspring between the traditional hoodie, zip up bomber leather jacket and stutterheim raincoat sort of trifecta, some what along the lines of luxurious apres-ski jackets for the millennial folk, not old fogies in their fur in aspen.

11. sirswag

sirswag Well-Known Member

I want all of that

12. somatoform

somatoform Distinguished Member

On the topic of a skinnier build, I find this fit to be quite superb (it's also a wonderful looking jacket):

dr.jpg

13. rnguy001

rnguy001 Distinguished Member

Which one is the bad one again?

14. rnguy001

rnguy001 Distinguished Member

I may be in the minority here but I don't like this fit at all. I have not particular feelings for Brando one way or another, but imagine if it was anyone else with that fit, and I would think it a poorly put together outfit.

I actually like that the DR has evolved a bit and been influenced by fashion. For most people I prefer the more streamlined, fitted look. Sure, the vintage and functional DR's are great for the actual true motorcycle enthusiast, but most of us (at least speaking for myself..) just wear them cause they look cool. I wouldn't wear one with all the extra padding and bulk necessary to actually protect you (I don't ride), but love my two DRs that are admittedly not built for riding, but more so to be worn everyday

15. BallsBallsBalls

BallsBallsBalls Member

Could anyone spot what season Incarnation this is? I can't seem to find anything on the web about it. 1000.jpeg .com.google.Chrome.jpg 1000.jpeg