• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone got a leather type 3? Thinking about ordering one in goat, curious how wearable they are?
I have a few - the RRL Gambler in brown (more like the Lee's version than that Levis Type 3, but they are very similar, and two Type 3s - a custom heavy steer one from Aero, and a roughout cow with horse collar from Joe McCoy. I can tell you that they are awesome and super wearable. Especially in black, they have a nod to western styles without looking particularly country, and in the roughout, it's a little less aggressive and looks good with just some black jeans and a tee. You can also go full on cowboy if you wish, but it's not for me.

Never be convinced, for good or for bad, by editorial or modeled pictures. See past that to look at the garment. That's how you start to develop your own style, and also how to find garments that are outside of the prescribed set of "cool brands". After all, what a lot of designers do is not so much to create new garments, but often, especially in collabs, to highlight how a "heritage" garment can be worn in a more modern way.

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@gfmozart I think the quality was very nice on that Margiela but it was just too delicate for me. I was simply putting it on, and the back panel of leather ripped apart in two places; had to throw it away was not repairable. I have an athletic body but I do not have steroid-abusing levels of muscle mass. It was just the wrong cut and the wrong material for me.

It has been hard to find an ideal leather as a lot of my jackets were either comfortable, but too delicate, or tough and hardwearing but too hardcore and uncomfortable for regular wear. This recent one is a nice balance for me.
That kadoya looks made for you.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on the sleeves?
gallery-1498053772-gettyimages-540690390.jpg

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Way too short, again like he shrunk it in the wash
Jeff Goldblum is pretty tall also IIRC.

As an aside, double riders look bad on most men in my opinion, especially large and athletic builds

Dingobattler

Reaction score
Anyone here own both a schott 618 and a 641? I'm thinking of getting one 2 sizes down from my perfecto (Perfecto size 40, looking at size 36 641HH) My chest size is 40", 32" waist, 5'8" athletic build.

My perfecto 618 (sz.40) is 21" pit to pit, 18' shoulders.

The 641HH (sz. 36) I'm looking at is advertised at 21" pit to pit, 18" shoulders.

Very weird how even though they're 2 sizes down, the measurements are exactly the same. Not sure if the 641 seller is adding a inch or two to flog off an unpopular size.

I got the official measurements from schott, and it seems that the 641 is an inch larger in the chest for each chest increment, and I read somewhere (can't verify) that the vintage stuff is 1 size smaller, so that might explain it? It's weird how sizing from the same company can differ across style and time

Should I pull the trigger?

A pic of me in my perfecto is here. It fits ok. If I zip up, the zip pulls taut before I can pull my shoulder blades all the way back. Armholes dig into my armpits when I sit down.

Looking for a tight fit for the 641, but I want to be comfortable in it, if not I won't wear it at all. These things don't stretch at all, so I won't even bother.

GKi0KSs.jpg

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As an aside, double riders look bad on most men in my opinion, especially large and athletic builds

Disagree. I've already thought double riders look good on muscular but still slim guys and authentic on power lifter dudes. Skinny dudes it looks alright but kind of forced haha

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Disagree. I've already thought double riders look good on muscular but still slim guys and authentic on power lifter dudes. Skinny dudes it looks alright but kind of forced haha

you're projecting because you want to imagine yourself looking good in a dr

true story, benes-chan :foo:

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The lapels add too much visual bulk to the chest which is already unbalanced to the rest of the torso

It doesn't look good it looks like they're trying too hard

Skinny guys with broad shoulders due to clavicles it does look good (but those people look good in any thing )

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you're projecting because you want to imagine yourself looking good in a dr

true story, benes-chan :foo:

Haha I have no interest in a double Rider I just think that the double Rider is traditionally a tough jacket and looks better on tough dudes. Skinny dudes look good in plenty of stuff

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E1B805D5-6E71-43A8-8C5E-382E6BD58B6A.jpeg

Like so?

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think some guys do double riders really well. I think it has a lot to do with context. Like, fuuma looks great in his and I think Aziz Ansari pulls his off pretty well too without looking like a goon.

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, its weird - ive noticed recently a lot of women wear drs and it goes almost completely unnoticed unless you are looking for it.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The DR design is definitely reaching peak saturation. I see DR + Chelsea boots everywhere I go.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, its weird - ive noticed recently a lot of women wear drs and it goes almost completely unnoticed unless you are looking for it.

The DR design is definitely reaching peak saturation. I see DR + Chelsea boots everywhere I go.

I think that it's well past that point and essentially the basic *****/basic bro uniform is DR+Chelseas + slouchy tee + slim distressed jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads