• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on the intended use of the jacket so I don't agree with going a size smaller as a rule.

Pastafarian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
It depends on the intended use of the jacket so I don't agree with going a size smaller as a rule.

The intended use of the modern leather jacket is to look sexy.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pastafarian
The intended use of the modern leather jacket is to look sexy.
Perhaps, but if I start seeing overweight people wearing tight leather jackets in Toronto as a result of reading your words, I will hold you personally responsible.
fight[1].gif

Pastafarian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Perhaps, but if I start seeing overweight people wearing tight leather jackets in Toronto as a result of reading your words,
I will hold you personally responsible.
fight[1].gif

well let's assume the jacket is for a wheeling dealing summuva gun swelte and trim at 6'1, 196 lbs.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well let's assume the jacket is for a wheeling dealing summuva gun swelte and trim at 6'1, 196 lbs.

Only if you promise to wear matching undersized leather gloves but not undersized leather pants.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Do you all agree?

I find most of the leather jackets I own become too big over time. I really like the snug feeling of a brand new leather jacket and that doesn't last...

I purposely bought a new leather jacket that is a size smaller than what I'm used to wearing. Did I make the right choice?

I can still zip it up but I can barely move in it to be honest lol.

it depends totally on the mfger.

typical european designer brand sizing tops out at XXL, = 56/58 suit sizing, and i find that it's a tight fit for me even in those. i'm 6'2", 240 lbs by way of reference.

OTOH i can generally fit into a "L" of your average american brand (not that i'd ever want to wear one.)

OakCreekHitter

Reaction score
Do you all agree?

I find most of the leather jackets I own become too big over time. I really like the snug feeling of a brand new leather jacket and that doesn't last...

I purposely bought a new leather jacket that is a size smaller than what I'm used to wearing. Did I make the right choice?

I can still zip it up but I can barely move in it to be honest lol.

I agree. Leather jackets tend to stretch out and become a bit too big over time if they just fit you nicely upon purchase.

nepats81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do leather jackets really stretch out over time? I recently bought a spurr leather jacket, size medium and it fits perfect with just a t shirt on, I feel like its slightly tight with a button down or thin sweater, but i can still zip it up without any pulling or anything. I tried on the large and It seemed O.K. in the shoulders and chest but not as slim in the arms as I'd like and the sleeves were too long (I'm 6'1"). So I guess what I'm asking is if I keep the medium, can I expect it to get more comfortable and stretch a little as time goes on?

harlemriver

Reaction score
I have the same dilemma. Which Spurr did you buy? I got a Medium Spurr from bloomiingdales the flight tech jack with two zips in front. GREAT jacket, but the Large was sold out and the XL was too big. The medium is a bit more snug in the tummy than i would like, but the arms, chest and shoulders are great.

The last leather jacket i bought is way too big now. It stretched plus I lost weight. Hopefully this one will stretch just a smidge, not too much.

brockT

Reaction score
Hi, I am actually caught in the exact same dillemna as you so I thought maybe you can offer some advice. I am 5"11' and 165 pounds and I bought a Medium which seems to fit a bit tight with a sweater underneath, especially at the arms, shoulders and chest, but I can still zip it up completely. It seems that if it does stretch out it wont feel as tight. The large on the other hand is a relaxed fit, fitted but a bit loose. It's a soft baby cow leather similar to the one in your link so do you think it will stretch? Thanks

Necromancer

Reaction score
Hey guys, need a bit of an advice here. I am planning on buying this leather jacket, a biker style. I am 5 feet 7 and 36" chest 32" waist so average build. My question is, should I be buying a biker jacket at all since I've read that only tall guys should be wearing a biker. The jacket I like is less of a biker though with less extravagance, less blings and whatnot, design very subtle as well. That's why I am interested. Otherwise, I'm more of a Band of outsiders styled bomber guy. Also, if I'm planning to keep the zips open and wear a turtleneck inside, should I buy smaller size than what i'm usually used to? Thanks in advance guys.

Spoon

Reaction score
id also like to know. have a 39 chest I'm 6' 165lbs
lean gym rat. do i go medium or small?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads