Leather Jacket Sizing? Same as suit coat?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RicoItaliano, Sep 3, 2006.

1. RicoItaliano

RicoItaliano Well-Known Member

Hello,

Recently I have begun my search for a few leather jackets, I made an online purchase of a jacket which was listed as Large and further stated that a Large was 42-44. I take a 44 in a suit coat.

When I received this jacket it was VERY large my guess would be 48? And it was tagged as a large.

My question is when looking for another is it correct to assume that the leather should be a 44 as is my suit coats? [​IMG]

2. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Did you check what region of sizing it was? I'm not familiar with all of them, but the difference can be great. Also, many leather jackets today are made to be pretty loose.

3. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

It has been my experience that leather jackets and sportscoats by the same maker fit the same for a given size.

4. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

I can only speak from a sample size of 4 (one long leather Hugo Boss, one jacket length polo and 2 suede jackets) all fit true to size. Is the coat labelled 42-44 anywhere? If not, I guess you fell victim to the seller's mistake.

5. RicoItaliano

RicoItaliano Well-Known Member

I purchased it in the US, no region sizing can be found or was mentioned. I did pop into the mall and checked out thier large size and it was the same as my current leather jacket in size.

The jacket I purchased only says L (large), and it fits far to loose to be a large. The seller will refund money minus shipping.

I just wanted to confirm my thoughts that the leather would be measured the same as a suit coat, when I went to the mall the sizes were all just S M or L etc...

Oh well on with my search.

Thanks for the replies.