1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather jacket care

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Does anyone have any recommendations of products to waterproof and condition the leather of a jacket?

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I believe mink oil works on leather clothing items.

3. esvoboda

esvoboda Well-Known Member

I´ve used Lexol cleaners and conditioners for years on both my leather jackets and my German car seats. All are in great condition and I credit the Lexol. The only downside is the scent of the conditioner. I´d suggest you let your jacket air out for several days afterwards so the scent has time to fade.

Lexol is not a waterproofing product. I don´t think it is a good idea to try to waterproof a nice leather jacket. Some light rain isn´t going to hurt anything. A surprise downpour isn´t going to make me panic but I´d avoid it. I´d wear proper raingear if I know the weather is going to be wetter than a light sprinkle. Wipe or shake off any excess water and let the jacket dry out. I have several leather jackets including a six-year-old Ferragamo in black lambskin that I have treated this way and wore far too often, maybe 100 times a year at one point, and they look nearly new other than accidental abrasion marks. I see no ill effects from water.

By the way, suede should be treated differently than the above. I am new to suede so I´d look to others for advice on that if that is what you are looking for.

-Ed