• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket care

cest_vrai

Reaction score
Would wearing a backpack or messanger bag with a leather jacket create too much wear and therefore be inadvisable?

And, are there any other tips to maintain and prolong the life of a leather jacket?

Thanks.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Clothes that can only be worn when the moon is full and the temperature is between 15 and 25 celcius aren't really worth it, don't you think?

If you need special conditions to wear a leather jacket get rid of it. If the leather is of good quality and properly cared for the use should be minimal and take years to take effect. Most leather jackets do gain character for being worn though so that's not even a bad thing.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would wearing a backpack or messanger bag with a leather jacket create too much wear and therefore be inadvisable?

And, are there any other tips to maintain and prolong the life of a leather jacket?

Thanks.
If you are wearing a leather jacket carefully, you are sort of missing the point, imo. The best looking leather jackets are those that have been to hell and back. Leave those leather jackets that rip easier than a cotton shirt to the fashion victims. One of the best leather jackets I've ever seen was a cracked version by Jitrois, a French company. The second is the classic Margiela version with the long zippered front pockets - don't know if it's made anymore. Both were rugged and durable.

gardel

Reaction score
I generally agree with LA Guy about leather jackets looking better if they are distressed especially if they are short bomber or motorcycle style jackets. There's something peculiar about a jacket like that if it's too neat.

I do have a couple of longer leather coats in that butter soft very thin leather. They are dressy and I don't allow them to become distressed any more than I do something nice out of wool. They serve a different purpose. I reach for those when I want a change from a normal wool coat and don't mind a bit of Eurotrash effect. I don't wear them too often. You've got to work them in carefully so you don't look like the ubiquitous guy-trying-to-be-cool-in-his-cheap-black-leather-jacket cliche. You don't want to look like Steven Seagal. On the other hand, I think Tom Cruise looked pretty good in his in one of those Mission Impossible films and certainly doesn't look like a "fashion victim", LOL.

I use Lexol to keep my leather (not suede.) from cracking. I don't like cracks even on distressed leather, preferring only abrasion and creasing, but that's a personal choice. Lexol will keep your leather moisturized. I apply it about once a year. You'll need to let your jacket air out in the open for a few days because Lexol has a bit of a smell.

I just looked in my closet at a 10-year-old jacket of mine to see if there was any excess wear on my right shoulder from using a strap but I don't see any difference. I wouldn't worry about it.

gardel

Reaction score
Oh, and before anyone jumps in saying you've got to look like Tom Cruise to pull it off, well, look at my portrait on the left. Tom and I have the same stupid grin, don't we?
biggrin.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, and before anyone jumps in saying you've got to look like Tom Cruise to pull it off, well, look at my portrait on the left. Tom and I have the same stupid grin, don't we?
biggrin.gif
Are you adept at playing rich assholes like Tom as well?
smile.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(gardel @ June 08 2005,07:46) Oh, and before anyone jumps in saying you've got to look like Tom Cruise to pull it off, well, look at my portrait on the left. Tom and I have the same stupid grin, don't we? Â
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

He does that uncannily well, especially in Magnolia. My theory, especially from recent behaviour, is he is just playing himself, just *very* slightly crazier.

gardel

Reaction score
smile.gif
Well, probably the asshole part but not the rich.
biggrin.gif
I really think half of his success has to do with his damn ****-eating grin.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I love the look of a cracked black leather motorcycle jacket. It's got to be the coolest outerwear piece in existence.

stache

Reaction score
Anything with straps will eventually make the shoulder area wear out/rip, but that has a certain charm. But before the garment reaches that point, the rubbing of the straps make a nice polish on the skins. I used to use Lexol but you have to be careful to just use a little. Too much will eat the hides. I do a mink oiling every spring on my jackets now, when I'm being good.

boston

Reaction score
i have an old leather jacket that began its life a very dark brown. I cleaned it with saddle soap a couple of times, and mink oiled it or something to make it water proof.

it's a little ripped now, and distressing wore the color off certain parts of the arms and body. I put brown boot polish on those. I then put black boot polish on the seams. I think I mink oiled the whole thing again.

I think it looks great now. It has a very interesting patina that looks very rich. It will keep wearing and, I think, continue to look even better.

Oh, and it's been worn with back packs and messenger bags for years.

-boston

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads