• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jacket Alterations

Nafets47

Reaction score
So basically I bought a VERY rare belstaff jacket, and the whole thing is a bit too large for me.

My shoulders on my suits is a 18.25 and the jacket is a 19.5, my chest is a 40 and the jacket is a 43.5 and the waist is a decent amount larger than mine.

Basically I know that it will not be cheap, but does anyone know of a tailor in the US that can be trusted to re-cut a leather jacket of value?

As a Plan B, I have it up for sale for the price someone is offering to sell me one in my size, which just happens to be over 1k.

Best,
Stefan

MarkinNYC

Reaction score
Personally, I think it would be impossible to recut the jacket to fit you since the shoulders are off by a lot. However, if you still want to pursue it, Modern Leather Goods in NYC would be a good place to try. I went to a Belstaff store on UES and they told me they use that shop for all of their alterations. It's not cheap - to cut sleeves (which had to be cut at the cuff, since the jacket had shoulder quilting) was $150 and it's a pretty basic job.

Nafets47

Reaction score
So I got my Patterson re-cut at a leather tailor in Tampa, and all I have to say is WOW.

It looks perfect, she ensured the stitching was exactly spaced as the rest of the jacket, she dyed the thread to ensure it was the same color.

She took up the sleeves 3 inches, took in the shoulders 1.5 inches, took in the waist 3.5 inches and the chest 1.5 inches and it has the exact same shape as before but is just smaller.

All in all it cost me a whopping $161.98
biggrin.gif

Needless to say, I am very pumped!

Best,
Stefan

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So I got my Patterson re-cut at a leather tailor in Tampa, and all I have to say is WOW.

It looks perfect, she ensured the stitching was exactly spaced as the rest of the jacket, she dyed the thread to ensure it was the same color.

She took up the sleeves 3 inches, took in the shoulders 1.5 inches, took in the waist 3.5 inches and the chest 1.5 inches and it has the exact same shape as before but is just smaller.

All in all it cost me a whopping $161.98 
biggrin.gif

Needless to say, I am very pumped!

Best,

Stefan

Wow, would love to see pictures.. Was this place local to you or did you send it off with measurements you wanted? I used Johnson in San Francisco and they did a great job taking shoulders up almost 2"

Nafets47

Reaction score
Wow, would love to see pictures.. Was this place local to you or did you send it off with measurements you wanted? I used Johnson in San Francisco and they did a great job taking shoulders up almost 2"
The place was local. I forgot to mention, I had asked her if it would be difficult to take the collar down a bit because I didnt like how high it road on my neck, she told me that it wasn't a big deal but she didnt feel it was necessary.

Anyway, when I tried it on it was perfect everywhere and she told me that she took the collar down .5 inches and it would be free of charge. Fantastic service.

Sending out to get it re-dyed black currently so cant post pictures, I will post photos when it comes back.

Best,
Stefan

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The place was local. I forgot to mention, I had asked her if it would be difficult to take the collar down a bit because I didnt like how high it road on my neck, she told me that it wasn't a big deal but she didnt feel it was necessary.

Anyway, when I tried it on it was perfect everywhere and she told me that she took the collar down .5 inches and it would be free of charge. Fantastic service.

Sending out to get it re-dyed black currently so cant post pictures, I will post photos when it comes back.

Best,
Stefan

Thanks, would love to see it. I have a Belstaff Maple that I'm thinking about having some work done on also..

Tomc

Reaction score

Best,
Stefan

I'm also a in a similar situation and stumbled across this thread while searching for solutions. Would you mind letting me know the business you took the jacket to? I'm close to Tampa so I can make a small trip.

ArtB

Reaction score
I'm also a in a similar situation and stumbled across this thread while searching for solutions. Would you mind letting me know the business you took the jacket to? I'm close to Tampa so I can make a small trip.
Hi Stefan, I live in Tampa and have a new Varvatos leather that I would like to shorten sleeves. Would love to have the name of the Tampa shop!!
Art

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads