• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Furniture Rankings

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stumbled across this today as I was scoping out a few different American Leather pieces:

http://www.curriersleather.com/manufacturers_rank.php

Agree/disagree? Obv they have bumped where needed to highlight the lines they carry in their store...

I personally disagree with the low ranking attributed to Mitchell Gold. Reason #1 is their warranty.

See here: http://www.mgbwhome.com/warranty_info.aspx

They warranty their sofa cushions for the entire life of the sofa, which I haven't really found anywhere else. I asked specifically about it, and the management clarified that they indeed will replace a cushion should you ever develop a "dent" from where you normally sit.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
American leather is good, but I would chose one of their best leather grades if you can.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have custom sofa experience with some of these Co.
1. All have variety of leather grades, which Co has top quality leather is impossible to determine imho. Unless we are talking about Unprotected pure veg. or aniline dyed (the top of their range)
2. Construction quality is good at most of these, however are we talking about frames or we talking about fit and finish?
3. Most Co. would not meet even 80 mark in fit and finish , Furniture made with staple guns ... Still they will try to charge 9K for a sofa.
My point? Look at their products yourself and see if the quality is acceptable to you. Never order site unseen, even from top Co. Their quality control is crap.
If you care about how frame is made; lift the sofa 2-3 inches off the floor by holding one leg , if the other leg is still touching the floor the frame is crap.

P.S. Don't understand H&M low bang for your buck rating. IS it the retail price from the catalogue? Their real price is 50-60% off all the time any time.

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wish that was the case for American leather. The local carriers in Mass. seem to be charging msrp - example is 8k for the leather Tristan sofa w/ chaise

Find interior decorator or out of state dealer. Which model are you planing to buy , Tristan? I have to caution you about buying anything vaguely modern from Amer . furniture makers the proportions would be off .

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of the companies listed make leather furniture for Restoration Hardware? If not, who is their vendor for leather upholstered goods?

Any info would be appreciated!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
8k for American leather? I think I would buy Carl Hansen at that point.

liqunxiyan

Reaction score
there shouldn't be any large unsightly blemishes on the piece you are buying. A good manufacturer of leather apparel will not use leather of 2nd or 3rd grade.
oJCMU1

Last edited:

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have three Hancock & Moore pieces, and while 2 are fine, one of them has had two separate tufts pop off in less than a year of it being made... so much for "100" construction score. Maybe it was an extremely isolated, rare incident? I think they might have used faulty string in tying it down for it to happen to two different tufts.

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have three Hancock & Moore pieces, and while 2 are fine, one of them has had two separate tufts pop off in less than a year of it being made... so much for "100" construction score. Maybe it was an extremely isolated, rare incident? I think they might have used faulty string in tying it down for it to happen to two different tufts.

It is not an isolated incident. I have had experience with H&M as well as LeatherCraft both are shoddy in terms of quality or even quality control. Both don't use nails anymore , everything is done with a stapler. Fast , cheap, shoddy union work. The quality bar has been set so low nowadays that H&M is getting all the top marks, but as we all know quality in consumer goods that require manual labour has been diminishing and diminishing further.
After bumping against this quality decline I've decided never to buy any furniture past 1970s, the craftsmanship is just not there anymore. There are notable exceptions here and there, some modern Knoll is still decent, but for the prices they are charging I still would go with vintage.

charllote

Reaction score
I have been using 2 leather sofas from Coja by Sofa4life for more than 6 years. They are still looking fresh and good. Other than a few scratches from my cat, no signs of damage as well.
I haven’t used leather furnitures from any other company. So can’t really compare. The only thing I have been doing other than trying to keep the cat away was daily dusting and wiping and occasional vacuuming.

Imperator

Reaction score
Guys, I'm thinking about buying the eames 3 seat sofa from Herman Miller in the edelman all grain leather. Any thoughts on the quality of that leather or the eames couch? We have had very positive experiences with Herman Miller in the past, but have never bought any HM upholstered products.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads