• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather duffle bags...worth it?

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can buy a really nice Ralph Lauren vegetable tanned cognac leather duffle 20"x 12"x12" for half price. I'm wondering if those of you who have weekend bags get much use out of it? The bag should last forever and will only look nicer over time. Is it really worth the investment?

LukeM

Reaction score
I would buy one only if it was $300 but I don't travel much.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is worth it. I have a leather and wool one that I travel with all the time as I hate roll-aboards.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know, for travel duffles are kinda neither here nor there for me - for their intended purpose (a weekend) they carry enough that they'll be a hassle to lug around, yet not enough that you'd not need to bring any other bag. From personal experience, any air travel involving duffles are just plain inconvenient - they get beat around and the surface gets damaged if they are checked in, they provide zero protection to their contents (e.g. bottles of cologne or wine), they are a hassle to lug around if you're doing carry-on only, they are an absolute unholy ***** to get into above-head compartments if you're travelling coach, and if you're travelling first class you just feel bad for the poor hostess who has to struggle with your unwieldy duffle. I know it's a tip of the hat to the romantic golden era of travel sorta-thing and they do look cool but really, the only travel scenario I can see a duffle working in is if you are doing a weekend driving trip. Just my 0.02.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
I don't know, for travel duffles are kinda neither here nor there for me - for their intended purpose (a weekend) they carry enough that they'll be a hassle to lug around, yet not enough that you'd not need to bring any other bag. From personal experience, any air travel involving duffles are just plain inconvenient - they get beat around and the surface gets damaged if they are checked in, they provide zero protection to their contents (e.g. bottles of cologne or wine), they are a hassle to lug around if you're doing carry-on only, they are an absolute unholy ***** to get into above-head compartments if you're travelling coach, and if you're travelling first class you just feel bad for the poor hostess who has to struggle with your unwieldy duffle. I know it's a tip of the hat to the romantic golden era of travel sorta-thing and they do look cool but really, the only travel scenario I can see a duffle working in is if you are doing a weekend driving trip. Just my 0.02.
I agree with you 100% but I still think OP should buy it. How much are we talking about? I have one that I purchased for $550 and its worth every penny. Retailed for $1500 i believe.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
x-post from manbag thread: My RL travel duffle:
IMGP4933.jpg
IMGP4935.jpg
IMGP4938.jpg
IMGP4942.jpg
IMGP4939.jpg

26redd

Reaction score
For sure worth it. They are all pretty expensive though. Be careful with any on ebay from china or other countries. I have dealt with them and usualy the product is not very good.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know, for travel duffles are kinda neither here nor there for me - for their intended purpose (a weekend) they carry enough that they'll be a hassle to lug around, yet not enough that you'd not need to bring any other bag.

From personal experience, any air travel involving duffles are just plain inconvenient - they get beat around and the surface gets damaged if they are checked in, they provide zero protection to their contents (e.g. bottles of cologne or wine), they are a hassle to lug around if you're doing carry-on only, they are an absolute unholy ***** to get into above-head compartments if you're travelling coach, and if you're travelling first class you just feel bad for the poor hostess who has to struggle with your unwieldy duffle.

I know it's a tip of the hat to the romantic golden era of travel sorta-thing and they do look cool but really, the only travel scenario I can see a duffle working in is if you are doing a weekend driving trip.

Just my 0.02.

GREAT post. I agree about the aesthetic and nostalgic value... but I could never use one for my regular travel. Need durability... and wheels.

Now, If I had an Aston Mrtin and needed something for popping up to the summer home on weekends...
wink.gif

PITAronin

Reaction score
I have a Mulholland duffle (leather trim but waxed cloth surface) that has been excellent for relatively short trips. If I'm traveling in a sport coat and jeans, the bag can hold a few extra shirts and a pair of good slacks, underwear, socks, running shoes and gear, swim trunks, and toiletries. The shoulder strap allows it to be carried through airports fairly easily. The design allows for it to be squashed a little if need be to get into an aiplane's overhead storage (far better than the rollaboards that people carry on that might have fit the airlines' recommended dimensions when they were empty but which always seem to have supersized themselves once the outside pouch has been stuffed to the max.)

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Apropos nailed this one.

I have a really nice leather duffel that even has hidden wheels but I don't want to trust it's veg tanned surface to clumsy baggage handlers so whenever I'm flying I take the nylon Tumi and reserve the leather for road trips. Even if you think you can take the leather on a plane there are times when either you are on a small plane with tiny overheads or the overheads are filled so you have to gate check it and it's in the fate of the baggage handlers again. Also leather is heavy and impractical for carrying through the miles of airport concourses but fine from house to car, car to hotel check in etc.

You didn't mention price but if I'm lashing out several hundred dollars for leather I'm gonna be wearing it not letting it get thrown around and left in the rain.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Leather duffles are nice and look great over time, but I find they are too heavy for air travel. I have one that I love, but never reach for it any more because of the added weight. I now carry a RLPL leather and canvas duffle type bag for overnight travel that works very well for me. It fits easily under the seat, which is a plus.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another +1 to Apropos. I've come within an inch of buying something similar several times, but the fact is it's just totally impractical for me--I don't even own a car anymore.

Still, a beautiful bag. *sigh*

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know, for travel duffles are kinda neither here nor there for me - for their intended purpose (a weekend) they carry enough that they'll be a hassle to lug around, yet not enough that you'd not need to bring any other bag.

From personal experience, any air travel involving duffles are just plain inconvenient - they get beat around and the surface gets damaged if they are checked in, they provide zero protection to their contents (e.g. bottles of cologne or wine), they are a hassle to lug around if you're doing carry-on only, they are an absolute unholy ***** to get into above-head compartments if you're travelling coach, and if you're travelling first class you just feel bad for the poor hostess who has to struggle with your unwieldy duffle.

I know it's a tip of the hat to the romantic golden era of travel sorta-thing and they do look cool but really, the only travel scenario I can see a duffle working in is if you are doing a weekend driving trip.

Just my 0.02.

Wow, I could not disagree with this post more. I travel for work just about every other week and I ALWAYS go with my duffle. I do not find it a hassle to lug around at all and it is small enough to fit in the overhead of even the CRJ connector flights when everyone else has to gate check their bags.

Since I started traveling with it, not once have I wished to have my wheels back and I get looks and complements with it everywhere I go. I have not had any "protection" issues with items I am carrying, but since I never check it, it is not like I am carrying liquids anyway.

If you are in reasonable shape and do not have any serious back problems, a duffle is the only way to go--if you have any style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads