• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather cracking on EGs - please advise

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score

Straight from the horse's mouth. She's on records saying they last for "years and years".

It's either bollocks, or your shoes are faulty. Either way, they should be concerned.

However, it seems they couldn't give a toss!

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
Sounds like they've outsourced their customer service to Nigeria
smile.gif

Seriously tho, was the creasing there when you sent them in for refurbishment (I'm assuming a resole)? If so I would think they would have replaced that section of leather during the process. If not, would that even be an option at this point?

I'm pretty sure they don't replace any part of the uppers during a recraft.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread brought to mind this pair on sale by a fellow member. Fresh soles, cracked uppers. Why wouldn't EG replace the cracked parts? I blame the POW and his cracked Lobbs.
green_southwold_sohle.jpg
green_southwold_schaden.jpg

951socal

Reaction score
Aren't creases normal in non shell cordovan shoes?

i also share the sentiment that shoes are suppsed to last awhile, but clothing doesn't last forever, expensive or not

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorialini
If you say so.

My experience -which involves Zegna, Ferragamo and Santoni- is the opposite. Italian shoes fit much more snugly than British shoes. But hey maybe we are talking of different brands/ types of shoes, e.g, Armani sneakers etc

+1

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance

Straight from the horse's mouth. She's on records saying they last for "years and years".

It's either bollocks, or your shoes are faulty. Either way, they should be concerned.

However, it seems they couldn't give a toss!

No one from any company can ever provide a time estimate for how long shoes will last, measured in units of time. Its a function of the shoe, AND how often its worn, AND what conditions its worn in, AND how its cared for. The maker can only control the first variable, and even then not entirely.

None of these 1000 dollar shoes are magic unicorns. Get your heads around that.

They are expensive luxury items, not value items. If you want value buy corrected grain leather and replace every 5 years. But you lose the nice looking leather. Tradeoff.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
The expense of replacing parts of the uppers would cost more than new shoes.

However, I read that replacing any parts of the uppers that need replacing is standard for some Northampton makers on their re-crafts...

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don't know why it is a big deal.
My Alden cracking like crazy after 3 years of wear.
I think the famous Prince Charles Lobb shoes cracked like hell, however it lasted 20? 30yrs?
After 5 years wear then have a small crack like that? I think it is just normal.
Most english shoe factories buy leather from the same company, so may be OP should consider not buying any english shoe at all.
By the way, I think water and heat are mostly the cause of cracking.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
Fishball;4253872 said:
My Alden cracking like crazy after 3 years of wear.

Do you wear them when your are feeling crazy too?

Most english shoe factories buy leather from the same company, so may be OP should consider not buying any english shoe at all.

This - Not true.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Northampton Novice

This - Not true.

Even if it were true, the number of shoes cut out of a single hide has a huge impact on the quality of the end product. That is most definitely not consistent across all levels of English shoes.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
Even if it were true, the number of shoes cut out of a single hide has a huge impact on the quality of the end product. That is most definitely not consistent across all levels of English shoes.

Or Indeed Italian/French/Spainsh manufacturers...

But to be honest even across the same hide the quality of the leather can vary significantly for the purposes of making fine footwear.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And always, always...as with any mass produced object...there is the pressure to maximize profit, minimize costs. Go back to page one of this discussion...blocking out any awareness of the brand name or the price paid...does that look like top quality leather to anyone? Really?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads