• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Conditioner for Shoes

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Conditioner - Crema Alpina (Nubiana rebranded for Bata)- left to dry over night, then light application of cream -vamp and heel (Saphir MdOr), then buffing with brush, then two or three layers of wax polish on the toe and heel.
If you apply the conditioner when shoes are still "hot" and on trees, you will reduce creasing visibly.
my 0.02 euro

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Roger,
how important is it to was polish the shoes?I know in your previous posts you mentioned that it is advisable for wet and cold climates.What if you don't expose your shoes to rain at all?Would condioner and cream polish suffice?

Probably, I guess. I think, though, that a good coat of wax polish gives some protection against scuffs too. A cream finish without a wax polish just seems to me like giving your shoe leather too little protection, but I'm sure others will disagree with this view.

kalice

Reaction score
I know lexol is the common leather conditioner used for shoes on the forum. But is meltonian any good? Or will I ruin my shoes with it?

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote here for Crema Alpina and Saphir creams and waxes.

I can't stand the smell of Meltonian, Kiwi, etc.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
silly shoe care question, but its better to ask before I dive in to taking care of my shoes. I emailed NDC on how to take care of my shoes, and this is what the representative replied back to me:

Best is to follow these easy steps:

1- Remove al dust and light dirt with a dry soft brush.

2-Please hand wash important dirt with a damp cotton cloth (old t- shirt or similar), in a mix of lukewarm water and very little vegetal soap, (Marseille soap or similar).

IMPORTANT, Please avoid to use Dish washing liquid or any strong soap. Please avoid to soak up the leather with excessive water.

3-Remove the soapy rests by cleaning the shoes with a clean cloth or sponge damp in clear fresh water, better if lukewarm.

4-Leave to dry for 1 or 2 days away from heat sources or direct sun light, in well ventilated place, and if possible, stuff your shoes with news paper in order to absorb excess interior moisture.

5-Once your shoes are completely dry, please use a high quality nourishing cream specially formulated for high end footwear, Saphire is the best, but is also sold in places such as Church, Edward Green, Crocket & Jones or at Selfridges. IMPORTANT, Please avoid using KIWI creams or other cheap shoe remedies, as in the mid term this will proof fatal to the good health of your leather.

6-Spread the cream in extremely small quantities sparingly all over he surface of the uppers, I personally do it barehanded so that you feel better when the leather has absorbed enough cream, or wether it is still feeling dry and still needs another feeding.

7-Finally it will be up to you if you will prefer a mid matt finishing or a glossy finishing. For a matt finishing, just leave the shoes as they will stay after the cream has dried, eventually slightly buffing with slow motion any rests or traces of dry cream (it should be none if step 6 has been done properly). For a glossy finishing, just buff your shoes with a soft brush with quick strokes applying very light pressure.

Eventually you could use a little clear polishing natural bees wax from Saphire, apply, let dry and ten buff to perfect natural gloss.

REMEMBER , a little quantity of a very good quality shoe cream and/or wax will go a long way and it will prove to be a less expensive exercise than buying a cheap cream and then having to throw your shoes away...
Now, I am lucky enough to be in Richmond at the moment, and I visited Franco's. Unfortunately, the salesman didn't know anything. I came across Crema Nubiana, but I wasn't sure if I was using the right product.

I only want to take care of the leather, and nourish it. My NDC shoes are pre-distressed, so I don't need to apply any polish. Any advice or help would be great. Thanks.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PS - What exactly is the difference between conditioner and nourishing cream. Does Saphir have a neutral nourishing cream I can use?

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by feynmix
silly shoe care question, but its better to ask before I dive in to taking care of my shoes. I emailed NDC on how to take care of my shoes, and this is what the representative replied back to me:

Now, I am lucky enough to be in Richmond at the moment, and I visited Franco's. Unfortunately, the salesman didn't know anything. I came across Crema Nubiana, but I wasn't sure if I was using the right product.

I only want to take care of the leather, and nourish it. My NDC shoes are pre-distressed, so I don't need to apply any polish. Any advice or help would be great. Thanks.

You should have called me - I am upstairs in the office....did you come to Lakeside?

Anyway, Nubiana is the same as Alpina......Bata reserved the name 'Alpina' for their shops, but it's the same stuff. It's exactly what you are looking for.

Ron

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RIDER
Anyway, Nubiana is the same as Alpina......Bata reserved the name 'Alpina' for their shops, but it's the same stuff. It's exactly what you are looking for. Ron
Would you recommend this over the Renovateur? The way I read it is that the Nubiana is more of a conditioner while Renovateur is a cleaner. Thanks.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I use the Saphir Renovateur.

+1

Apple Leather Conditioner and the Allen Edmonds conditioner are both also very good, and silicone free.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Would you recommend this over the Renovateur? The way I read it is that the Nubiana is more of a conditioner while Renovateur is a cleaner.

Thanks.

Well, I use both - the Renoveteur is a little stronger while the Crema Nubiana is a little more milky and gentler....if that makes sense. Depends on the shoes and how you use it....just have to try.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'll be ordering both when I put in my next order with Francos.

BBRex

Reaction score
I'm asking because I have a pair of Herring shoes that small lines running along the edge of the caps, and I'm not sure if they're cracks or small creases.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's a fine line between a crack and a small crease...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics