• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Boot and Belt Care

light94

Reaction score
I just picked up my first pair of 'real' leather boots and belt but am wondering if I need to apply anything to care for them? I will be wearing them in rain but not snow. Hoping for them to last 2-3 years.

I read through many of the leather care threads on here as well as google'd for information but am still quite confused about the wide variety of products... mink oil, leather protectant, sprays, etc. so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Earthkeeper 2.0 Moc Toe Boots:
pTBL1-7897090v275.jpg

NF Belt:
thickbelt_raw.jpg

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by light94
I just picked up my first pair of 'real' leather boots and belt but am wondering if I need to apply anything to care for them? I will be wearing them in rain but not snow. Hoping for them to last 2-3 years.

I read through many of the leather care threads on here as well as google'd for information but am still quite confused about the wide variety of products... mink oil, leather protectant, sprays, etc. so any help would be greatly appreciated.

That belt will darken if you apply anything to it - it looks like tooling leather so untreated in any way and will soak up any leather feed/conditioner. If it doesnt get wet I'd leave it as is for as long as you can if you want to keep the colour. Belts generally have a fairly easy life as they are protected by jumpers/coats etc so should last for quite a while.

HTH

Charlie

light94

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I don't care about matching the two colors, but just want to know if I need to apply any products to make them last me a good amount of time.

Seems like I won't need to apply anything to the belt unless it gets wet? What about the boots - I will be wearing them in the rain quite often.

luv2dance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by karinasturtz
As leather goods are worn, many of the essential oils added by the tanners wear away. Without care, drying, cracking and/or hardening of the leather will occur. Consistent and long-term care is essential to the longevity of your leather goods.

If the leather is untreated you should absolutely have the boots waterproofed once this season. Now if you do get caught in a lot of rain I would waterproof after ever 6-7 times of wearing the shoe. The belt is probably not such a big concern since it is not exposed to the weather like boots but I would waterproof at least once each year. Use a premium leather care product since the spraying nozzles tend to be a lot lighter so the spray applies more evenly. Collonil is a great product if you can find it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads