• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Black Messenger Bags

phatty123

Reaction score
I want to know what is a good black leather messenger bag to get? I want something where i can put my stuff in it while I am out. I am 22 and still in college so I need a bag to carry my stuff. I do not work but go to school

I don't want to spend a lot of cash on it. I saw a messenger bag on ebay and it says its a messenger bag/ laptop bag. Are those fine?

It looks like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/David-King-Leath...742.m153.l1262

Also, can someone tell me is there a big difference *************** leather messenger bag and one that is a computer one? Both are leather but i know the computer bag has a compartment that the regular bag doesn't. Would it be fine to carry things... not a computer in this leather messenger bag? Would it be fine to carry this bag to work in say a finance environment though i just want this bag to carry when i go to school and other things.

I see some Coach bags on ebay used which look okay and cost less than 100 dollars with great reviews. What are your opinions about Coach messenger bags?

Thanks.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
***** is back.

if you are on a budget, go cloth, not leather.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
+1. while i personally carry a leather messenger to my (university) classes, i'd say that 90% of the guys with messengers around campus have a canvas one, not leather. it's more rugged, which is good since it's going to take a lot of wear and tear from carrying around books, laptops, electronic gadgets, etc and be caigjt in various weather situations. my leather messenger hasn't taken too bad a beating since i've only ever needed to carry a few lecture notes and notebooks at any given time. right now wilson leathers is having a big sale, if you want to look for a new leather bag.

dopamine

Reaction score
It's quite unfortunate that you posted this so late. Wilson's Leather just had a 40% off + free shipping sale, and I got a fantastic canvas messenger bag with brass and leather accents for $12 shipped. They had nice black leather messenger bags for only $30. I think the replaced that sale with a different one that's not quite as nice, and the messenger I got was replaced by another one from the same company but that looks different. Here are some links: http://www.wilsonsleather.com/produc...entPage=family http://www.wilsonsleather.com/produc...entPage=family

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lambertson Truex, especially when on sale. They are cheaper than Coach at retail and infinitely better made with nicer materials and subtler, classier styling.

Other than that, Latico is another brand that makes fairly reasonably priced leather goods that aren't bad... the details aren't great, but the leather is decent for the price and the styling fairly simple.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the best bag I ever bought. Quality fit finish and leather thickness/quality is superb. I cannot care less that it is designed as diaper bag because it look cooler than most bags I have seen.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...TORKSAK+JAMIE+

I own 2 : black and brown . I can tell you that you are not going to be disappointed in this bag. Tons of pockets removable bottle holder inside. Leak proof compartment on the side accessible through zipped pocket , fully water proof lining, key ring attachment, full grain leather. This bag is super.

Disclosure:
I don't sell them nor make them

evanrose

Reaction score
I've got two Jack Spade bags, one 5 year old canvas day bag (which was just recently almost completely reconstructed by the company, free of charge - how about that, a lifetime warranty!) and a really high end leather one I got on sale (50% off $500, a deal in my opinion, but perhaps out of your price range). They have sales and they have them on eBay, I'm sure. You can't beat Jack Spade for quality or style, in my opinion. They're also very affordable for what they are.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a suade john varvatos one at off fifth at woodsbury commom for $33. You could check stores like that.

phatty123

Reaction score
Isn't Wilson's leather still having a 40 percent sale now? I see many of their products have a big discount.

Geruvah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopamine
It's quite unfortunate that you posted this so late. Wilson's Leather just had a 40% off + free shipping sale, and I got a fantastic canvas messenger bag with brass and leather accents for $12 shipped. They had nice black leather messenger bags for only $30. I think the replaced that sale with a different one that's not quite as nice, and the messenger I got was replaced by another one from the same company but that looks different. Here are some links:

http://www.wilsonsleather.com/produc...entPage=family

http://www.wilsonsleather.com/produc...entPage=family

Using that sale and the promotional code, I got one of those bags for $18. Woo!

Johnathan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
***** is back.

In my experience, it's kinda hard to find a cloth bag that doesn't look (for lack of a better word) cheap. I'd really like to, though, as I try to wear as little leather as possible. Anyone have any suggestions?

SwedishFish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnathan
In my experience, it's kinda hard to find a cloth bag that doesn't look (for lack of a better word) cheap. I'd really like to, though, as I try to wear as little leather as possible.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Similarly, it's hard to find an inexpensive leather bag that doesn't look cheap. I have a Mulberry messenger that I am very happy with. Got it used off Ebay for 1/3 of the original price. Keep looking at ebay and eventually a good deal will come along. Get a canvas bag for the interim.

Or, for a relatively inexpensive, decent-quality conservative looking bag, check out this option from LL Bean.

phatty123

Reaction score
does anyone think that leather messenger bag i posted on the link is decent? It is only about 76 dollars total including shipping. I have a ebags bag right now but it looks like jonathan says cheap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads