• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather belts

Brian SD

Reaction score
I am in the market now for a new leather belt to wear with pretty much everything. Right now I am wearing a brown Versace belt but the leather doesn't appear to be top quality, so I am thinking of spending a little more this time and getting a belt that I think will last longer and look better. I am keeping my eye on a Paul Smith belt, pretty plain and classy, but I'm really not sure as I've never dealt with Paul Smith accessories before. Does anyone have a good opinion on this? I would prefer a brown belt, although I would go black in the case of a Hedi Slimane design or something of that nature. I know the trendy thing to do is have a half-tuck with your big fat "G" above your crotch... but, I'm better than that.
biggrin.gif
Thanks in advance.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if Paul Smith is really the direction you want to go... I like their styling, but the cost/quality ratio leaves something to be desired. My everyday brown belt is from PS and I paid less then 40 clams for it--a price that is pretty comensurate with its value. FWIW, I really liked the belts at Bally. Their calfskin belts are reasonable priced, about the same as Ben Silver, and are sold in the standard 110 cm lengths with detachable hardware.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've had good luck with Martin Dingman. Not cheap, probably not the best value out there, but a high-quality product.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Sierra Trading has a selection of Martin Dingman belts in their latest print catalog. I doubt they'd show up with a "Martin Dingman" search on the website, but type in these item numbers in the search box: 51024, 51025, 51026. $39.95 each; the last one is a true lizard belt.

Also check the Allen Edmonds 'store' on ebay, which sometimes offers their belts at discount.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brian SD:
I am in the market now for a new leather belt to wear with pretty much everything. Right now I am wearing a brown Versace belt but the leather doesn't appear to be top quality, so I am thinking of spending a little more this time and getting a belt that I think will last longer and look better.

The machined black leather belt from Asprey is beautiful, for something similar and cheaper try Porsche Design. Hermes also makes some wonderful belts in leathers and colours of your choice.

dug

Reaction score
Cartier makes nice belts

naturlaut

Reaction score
Anyone here tried custom belts?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Paul smith belts for their distinctive buckles - but then, I've always liked thick belts with larger buckles, and have a collection that predate the current trend (although admittedly, I liked some DSquared's large buckles). If you are getting a Paul Smith belt, make sure that it is one of the ones in bridle leather.

If you are going for something a little more classic, but still trendy, some (but definitely not all) John Varvatos belts are fairly well made, and will go with anything from jeans to wool pants.

I am not a fan of Martin Dingman or Allen Edmond belts. They all look a little too stuffy for my tastes, and not very elegant at all. Cartier and Hermes both make classic and elegant belts that will never go out of style (of course, they will also cost $250+).

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Anyone here tried custom belts?
I am considering a "made to measure" belt.

I've been looking for a cordovan belt to go with my cordovan colored cordovan shoes. I tried to order a horribly expensive Alden one from Since1884.com , but found the customer service at that website terrible.

Recently, I discovered that Yoshinoya, a Japanese shoe manufacturer, will make a made to measure belt in your choice of leather (several colors of calf, cordovan (black, brown, or burgandy) or lizard), with a silver or gold buckle. I have been thinking about ordering as the price is not so much more than the Alden I had wanted to order.

Bic

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Paul Stuart (NY/Chicago). I've got a black calfskin belt I bought there in about 1987 that I wear several times a week and that still looks nearly brand new. I'm constantly amazed at how well it has held up.

On the other hand, I've been disappointed at Coach belts and how poorly they hold up. The coloring has faded and the leather cracked around the holes.

I've got a couple of Trafalgar belts that have held up well also.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a couple of Trafalgar belts that have held up well also.
For the money, I think this brand offers some of the best quality per dollar.

Plus, I always see them at my local Marshalls/TJ Maxx for $14.99. I picked up a black leather belt with a squared silver buckle. The leather has this really nice design tooled into it (leaves and vines), that looks great when worn casually with jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads