• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather bags..

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Bally messenger bag in pig or boar skin. The item is new, and I am going to use it for the first time since purchasing on a trip to Shanghai tommorow. One thing I've noticed is that the leather seems quite dry even though it's new. Should one apply some natured cream to the leather? Also any other information would be appreciated. Thank you.

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
LabelKing:

I may be too late for your trip but generally, leather requires occasional cleaning with saddle soap and polishing with neutral cream polish. Kind of like shoes.

You can use a spray leather protector, effective at protecting the leather from water and stains.

Leather brief cases do not have to be cleaned often, but when it's time, make sure you take it to a drycleaner who specializes in leather.

A conditioner is recommended to keep leather soft and supple, and to moisturize it, which keeps the leather from cracking. There are a lot of good leather conditions on the market, sometimes known as balms. Many conditioners come combined with cleaners.

Don't use any cleaner on leather than contains an acid or a detergent. You can use saddle soap, Murphy's Oil Soap, Ivory soap or a cleaner made for shoe leather. Apply with a damp cloth, wipe off and let dry. Then you can apply conditioner as needed.

The bag should last for years and getting beat up a little just adds to its character.

Andy

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads