• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather bag/briefcase care and cleaning

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambler
Not sure about the A-E conditioner but I know that Lexol works pretty well and won't damage the leather. Also, a lightly damped cloth could do the trick for simply removing surface dirt and debris.

+1, Lexol is what I used on mine and it did soften up the leather a bit without making it too shiny.

jchosko

Reaction score
I am a fan of Obenauf's leather care products, but have not used it on the type of hide that a SAB or Peal briefcase would be made of. It has breathed new life into many a vintage leather jacket for me though, and refreshed a number of work boots. I have used it on horsehide (Aero jacket) to great effect as well. I suspect that it will darken any leather as light as that in the OP's pic.

luv2dance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mat135ta
Thanks for the link. Do you know if the wax can soften the leather?

My briefcase also have some noticeable scratches, so I was wondering if I can use shoe cream to cover them up. It seems on another thread, it is suggested to never use shoe care products. Then is there colored cream for bridle leather with similar effect as shoe creams?

Beautiful briefcase! What I use on all of my leather goods is Collonil Leather Care. They have many lines of products so I am sure one of them will be great for you. They also have some creams that nourish leather and add colour back into it so that would help you cover the scratches as long as they are not deep.

luv2dance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DressingInTheDark
I have been looking for something for my leather portfolio and wallets. Emailed Collonil on the Premium Diamant and they ok-ed it on all leather goods and shoes. Thought i'd share...

1-diamant-cr.jpg

Great product and definitely very versatile like you just said....thanks for confirming that.

bannered

Reaction score
First time poster here, long time lurker.

Does anyone have experience working with bags of mixed materials? I just got this old Duluth Pack briefcase and want to clean up and condition the leather portions (has a nice patina, but some dirty spots and wear on the corners). I know Duluth recommends Lexol products to both clean & condition, but I was thinking of using the Lexol PH to clean, then a coat of Obenaufs LP to give it a good protective layer. Does this sound logical? I don't want to make a mess of the canvas portions in the process and ruin the bag. Thanks for any guidance.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

luv2dance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bannered
First time poster here, long time lurker.

Does anyone have experience working with bags of mixed materials? I just got this old Duluth Pack briefcase and want to clean up and condition the leather portions (has a nice patina, but some dirty spots and wear on the corners). I know Duluth recommends Lexol products to both clean & condition, but I was thinking of using the Lexol PH to clean, then a coat of Obenaufs LP to give it a good protective layer. Does this sound logical? I don't want to make a mess of the canvas portions in the process and ruin the bag. Thanks for any guidance.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Clean and Care by Collonil is a great product for leather, suedes etc so you may want to contemplate that since it won't mess up your canvas. Then you can simply protect it with a waterstop spray.....

changy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Might depend on the case, the leather and how it's tanned/dyed, etc. However my Glazer bag comes with recommendation to use human skin care products. Specifically they recommend the original formula Nivea (in the blue bottle) as the only care it needs. YMMV.

Every time I hear this about Glazer products, I think "It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again"

ircfas133

Reaction score
I just want to share with everyone here that I used Neutrogena hand cream on my Mont Blanc wallet, and it restores very well !

superfilmbuff

Reaction score
All I have been using is saddle soap on my SAB. To great results. Saddle soap is a very mild cleaning agent which would not darken the leather. The drawback is that it needs to be applied about once a month. Not permanent.

Pepero

Reaction score
Does anyone have advice on caring for a Frank Clegg briefcase--specifically the harness-belting leather? I bought this single gusset zip top bag about six months ago:

https://frankcleggleatherworks.com/index.php/product/view/Zip_Top_Single_Gusset_Briefcase

I tried contacting Frank a couple times about how to care for it but heard nothing back. It's beautiful and was quite expensive, so I'd like to keep it in good condition. His site gives the following info about the leather:

This exceptional vegetable tanned leather is a belting leather that develops a unique and cherished patina. Extra fat liqueurs are added during the conditioning process, rendering a wonderful touch and a beautiful look. Because the finest leathers do not have any surface finish to protect them, with care, these products age over time to become true heirlooms; think classic English saddles.

Is there a moisturizer that might be good? Or maybe it doesn't need any care? Any advice would be appreciated.

Ian Clegg

Reaction score
Hello!

Not sure why we aren't receiving your emails! We recommend using "leather care by apple polishes". You can find the product on amazon!
For any further question please contact me at [email protected]

Hope you are enjoying the briefcase!

Best,

Ian Clegg

NDND2012

Reaction score
Any advice on how to restore or slow the wear shown here. I had thought about black polish but I gather that's a no, no. I imagine would end up on clothing.

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Any advice on how to restore or slow the wear shown here. I had thought about black polish but I gather that's a no, no. I imagine would end up on clothing.

You're right about it likely ending up on clothing, but you may be able to find something that would dye the leather rather than cover it up. I'm assuming you're getting wear on it from when you're carrying by the shoulder strap?
I would suggest either carrying it on the other side of your body to even out the wear (kind of silly but it will extend the life of that area of the bag), or having it repaired professionally at some point. As a bag maker, folded edges are something I avoid implementing on high-wear areas just for this reason. A finished edge can be touched up but a folded edge will eventually wear through when there's constant friction going on.

eddie k

Reaction score
Hi, I have a pure leather Mont Blanc briefcase model 104607. Unfortunately, it is full of nail scratches next to its handle. Several times my nails touch the leather when I grab it. Any tips on how to remove (soften) these scratches? Thank you all in advance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads