1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Arts & Crafts MOTO (Aoyama--Tokyo, Japan) Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Kashiwa, May 5, 2012.

1. tahonng

tahonng Senior member

Just this guy:

On a tangent of sorts. It's inspirational to me that people who really excel at their work will get recognition and a following, no matter how small the operation. I mean, this guy only makes these shoes in a very limited range, and a very limited channel of distribution, but his stuff is so good, we're all trying to get some of that magic. It's like "Jiro Dreams of Sushi". This guy's only has 10 seats or something at his restaurant, he doesn't even have a bathroom, but he got a 3 star Michelin rating because his shit is so good.

Anyway, PM'd you MrS.

2. zissou

zissou Senior member

Ah, thanks. I missed that post. I'm a 9.5 on Barrie, so it looks like a size 3 in MOTO might be just right.

I'd love a pair of these...
    [​IMG]

3. tahonng

tahonng Senior member

I'm partial to the plain toe oxfords myself. The black ones look so tempting. Can't decide between regular cow[​IMG]
    The cordovan's got more eyelets, and the sheen's a little subtler:
    [​IMG]

The brown's not bad either:
    [​IMG]

4. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

Well, if size 2 is roughly equivalent to an 8.5D in the Alden Barrie last, then by the power of extrapolation, I think I will need a size 5 (Alden Barrie size = 11.5D). I realize that MOTO does not do 5's, but they do make a 4 in their desert boots, for what it's worth.

Anyway, size 5 in the dark brown (green by my estimation) camel lace ups for me, pretty please:

[​IMG]

5. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

They make a 4 in the desert boot, eh? If that's anything like the Barrie last, I might be able to squeeze into that. Would Moto be upset if I went in barefoot and refused to leave until they sold me a pair of shoes that fit? How would this behavior be received in Japan?

6. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

^^ Indeed, if you are a 10.5d in the Barrie, then the size 4 desert boot may work for you. I'll try and stick my foot into one the next time I go. Although the staff will undoubtedly be a little apprehensive about my feet in their shoes, it certainly won't cause as much of a stir as the barefoot gaijin who refuses to leave. I've never seen any no shoes, no shirt, no service signs in Japan, so you may be within your legal rights, but the whole refusal to leave thing seems a step or two out of kilter with the norms for public behavior in Japan.

7. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

That's why they call us crazy Americans. Because we're, well, crazy.

8. zakurie

zakurie Well-Known Member

Found this sizing info on a couple MOTO stockist's sites.

[0] 24.5~25.0
    [1] 25.5~26.0
    [2] 26.5~27.0
    [3] 27.5~28.0 (cm)

A couple models are made in a size 0 and I can't find size 4 anywhere. If you have wide feet, either size up or maybe shy away for now.

'Standard' shoe size conversions:

[​IMG]

You can extrapolate that the following sizes might work:

[0] 7~7.5
    [1] 7.5~8
    [2] 8.5~9
    [3] 9~9.5

I wear a 43 or a 9 consistently. I am an 8.5D on Alden's Barrie Last and a 9D on White's Classic Last. With the exception of the balmorals, all other size 2 MOTOs that I have tried on fit me perfectly. The balmorals run more narrow than other models and a size 3 fit me well.

9. zakurie

The cordovan models are even more amazing then their standard line. And they have purposefully dyed the cordovan in a way that the leather is not sheen as you typically find in cordovan shoes, and it makes for a more beautiful shoe. If you are considering cordovan and can afford it (they are substantially more expensive), don't think twice.

10. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

I`m a size 0.
    Now Just gotta figure out where and how to buy

11. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

Zakurie, thanks for posting the sizing info. When I visited previously, they had one model in size 4. I believe it was this desert boot, but I could be wrong.

[​IMG]

12. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

Which model are you interested in?

13. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

I`m a US 7c in brannock so based on the previous post, I am a 0?
    Can`t decide which one I want :lol:

14. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

^^Yes, it is very difficult to select one. However, the limited number of models in size 0 may make it easier for you. Have a look at Rakuten.

15. zakurie

The shop has some options available that they do not post on their website or sell through other shops, so it might be hard to find all options available...

16. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

Very true. If anyone is interested in something you can't find on Rakuten etc. I am happy to call on the phone and inquire.

17. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

that brown desert boots might be the one!

18. kram6136

kram6136 Well-Known Member

Just dropped by MOTO in Aoyama at lunchtime today, thanks to Kashiwa's recommendation. Amazing shop, and the beautiful woman behind the counter was very helpful. The camel boots are superb in person, and the dark brown desert boots are too. Tough decision! I'll have to go back with some $$ and try them on. Lots of other beautiful goodies there too: wallets, watch straps, silver jewelry, etc. Not to be missed.

19. MrSkelter

MrSkelter New Member

If we were to get sufficient shoe orders we'd also supply precise measurements of the shoes to enable accurate orders to be placed.

We'll do anything we can to eliminate the possibility of making mistakes. One advantage of a personal connection is the ability to access products we haven't purchased or imported.

As it stands we're interested in demand right now. Let us know your desires, we'll do our best to make people happy.

20. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

Glad you made it to MOTO. And, you're right, that little shop has many a treasure. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a wallet from them. My wife has one and it is gorgeous.

I know you were looking for a foul weather shoe. Did you have a chance to ask if they have any such thing? Wondering how the camel would hold up?