• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Arts & Crafts MOTO (Aoyama--Tokyo, Japan) Appreciation Thread

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have purchased through rakuten a long time ago but still unsure of the sizing

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
I would have purchased through rakuten a long time ago but still unsure of the sizing
I think a size 1 is basically equivalent to a 7.5D on Barrie or Trubalance, from what I've read. I don't know if I believe that enough to pull the trigger, though.

Last edited:

Joshua Lee

Reaction score
Still jealous I can't wear any of these awesome shoes! Seriously can't get over the Japanese aesthetics, so simplified but incredibly beautiful. MOTO needs to start an MTO program haha, still want those PTB or a chukka for my US 12.5/13 feet. :D

Dave_SFU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think a size 1 is basically equivalent to a 7.5D on Barrie or Trubalance, from what I've read. I don't know if I believe that enough to pull the trigger, though.

I wear an 8D on Trubalance and I tried on Size 1 in the Chukkas at Moto and had to move to a size 0 (which i didnt end up getting). But I was a size 1 in another show, i forget which

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
I wear an 8D on Trubalance and I tried on Size 1 in the Chukkas at Moto and had to move to a size 0 (which i didnt end up getting). But I was a size 1 in another show, i forget which
Thanks for the info! I'm mostly interested in the ankle boots, or maybe a slightly taller one than the usual 6". I thought for sure I'd be a size 1, didn't realize they ran so big, though. I might have to hold off on ordering for now.

Last edited:

Dave_SFU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the info! I'm mostly interested in the ankle boots, or maybe a slightly taller one than the usual 6". I thought for sure I'd be a size 1, didn't realize they ran so big, though. I might have to hold off on ordering for now.

I know it sucks to say but you really need to try them on. I posted a while back in here that I ended up with MOTOR Engineers in 7.5 which is smaller than any other shoe I own. I went in there expecting to go with an 8.

Kashiwa

Reaction score
I think that Moto's sizing is essentially as below.

0 = 7-8
1= 8-9
2= 9-10
3 = 10-11

There are a number of other variables you have to consider however, including leather and welt. The CXL and camel are goodyear welts and run larger. Plus cxl will stretch a bit.

When in doubt size up. Thick socks and insoles will make them work.

What are you after exactly Mister Juiceman?

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
I think that Moto's sizing is essentially as below.

0 = 7-8
1= 8-9
2= 9-10
3 = 10-11

There are a number of other variables you have to consider however, including leather and welt. The CXL and camel are goodyear welts and run larger. Plus cxl will stretch a bit.

When in doubt size up. Thick socks and insoles will make them work.

What are you after exactly Mister Juiceman?
Thanks for the info--pretty much after something like this (http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/reggieshop/item/moto-r00245813221/), though I may be willing to go slightly taller. Preferably with a rubber sole.

Kashiwa

Reaction score
Are you a 7.5 in TB / Barrie? If so, you may be able to make a 1 work. Perhaps you'll have to go with thicker socks or an insole.

You can always get some rubber put on after you get them.

Have you looked through all of Moto's collection. You can probably proxy for anything they offer. That may be the only way you'll get a zero.

http://www.motostyle.jp/leather-silver/item/item-top.html

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
Are you a 7.5 in TB / Barrie? If so, you may be able to make a 1 work. Perhaps you'll have to go with thicker socks or an insole.

You can always get some rubber put on after you get them.

Have you looked through all of Moto's collection. You can probably proxy for anything they offer. That may be the only way you'll get a zero.

http://www.motostyle.jp/leather-silver/item/item-top.html
IDK if I'd want to chance it with a 0, figured I'd rather go bigger, like you said. I'm a 7E/7.5D in TB/Barrie, 6.5 in C&J's 325 last.

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some second hand camel oxfords in a size 3 on rakuten at the moment - might be be a good option for someone looking to try out MOTO sizing without paying retail.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/greedkobe/item/251209d-07096/

Would be interested myself but I reckon I'd be a size 2. Hoping I'll be able to make a trip to Japan some point in the near future and visit their tokyo store...

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely worth it. I was rocking the camel boots yesterday and broke a lace. Tragedy!

kram6136

Reaction score
Also, I believe MOTO is not making the camel items any longer. Good find!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads