1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Arts & Crafts MOTO (Aoyama--Tokyo, Japan) Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Kashiwa, May 5, 2012.

1. Kaff

Kaff New Member

Glad I found this thread. I'm quite new to "high end" boots, I currently own 3 pairs of Red Wings, but have recently started looking for a top quality pair of desert boots or chukkas. I live in Finland so these would mainly serve as my spring/summer/autumn shoes. I've been to Japan twice and I'm going there again next spring. I found MOTO and instantly fell in love with their design aesthetics and I appreciate the amount of craftsmanship they put in to their products. As many other westerners, I too have big feet. In RedWing moc toes I wear a US 10,5 (with insoles - might pull off a 10 also) and my foots actual length is 28,9cm.

I contacted MOTO asking about their sizes, and they kindly (and swiftly) replied that they currently stock the Desert Boot in size 4. And they also suggested I try on the chromexel Chukka in size 3 as it runs bigger than their other models. I can't wait to get there, better start saving right now - who knows how many pairs I'll get while there!

2. mrsister

mrsister Member

just read through everything. learned so much. got excited to see a thread about moto! thank you for all the information. planning a trip to japan this summer. excited to see the boots in person. those natural cxl peco style boots are incredible!

3. lolptional22

lolptional22 New Member

This thread's getting a well deserved bump!

http://imgur.com/a/zsEJa
    http://imgur.com/a/ij4mm
    http://i.imgur.com/1DGQQdQ.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/4IftJBD.jpg

I just got these a few minutes ago, so I don't have much to review. I'll do a real review after a month or so with these things just so I can have a good feel for them.

Basically, I wanted an Alden Indy, but as I read more and more about Alden, the less and less I liked. When I stumbled on Moto a while back, I liked the pictures I saw far more than the Aldens. The toe stitching actually raises the leather up creating a cool effect. The natural CXL looks amazing so far. They have a pre-patina'd look to them before they even have a day of wear.

There's a small gash in the welt and a missed stitch but nothing major.

My concern with buying these was the size. These are a Moto size 3, which is what they told me to choose when I emailed them. My Brannock size is roughly a 9.4 US in thick socks. These do feel a bit large for me, however. I'm not sure if I'd fit into a Moto 2, but regardless, I posted the fit in the album. Let me know what you think. I just don't want to have an odd natural flex point.

4. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

^ Good stuff. I wouldn't have thought of Moto as an Alden alternative, but I can see where you're coming from there.

I never got a reply to my enquiry about the desert longs, so I guess that's a no go.

5. lolptional22

lolptional22 New Member

You should try again. I'm pretty sure when they get an English email, it's forwarded to a guy who translates them into Japanese. Then they answer the questions in Japanese and have the guy translate them back to English.

It's likely some emails get lost in the shuffle.

6. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Anybody in Fukuoka carry Motos?

7. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

Thanks, I did, they've definitely stopped making the desert long at least for now.

8. Rady1112

Rady1112 New Member

9. Rady1112

Rady1112 New Member

10. Rady1112

Rady1112 New Member

Hi all, got the above pair in the wrongful size. It is a size 1. Way too small for me. Anyone want to buy these off of me. Just don't want to deal with the hassle of return/exchange.

11. Stillmaticbeat

Stillmaticbeat Senior member

What size is a 1 in U.S. Sizing

12. AlexanderTG

AlexanderTG Senior member

Size 1 would be a US 8.

I'm a 9.5 and ended up having to exchange my size 3 for a 2 (from MOTO themselves, who were great about it all, even exchanging after they put Vibram on).

Good luck. They're great shoes. As soon as fall comes I'll be wearing mine a lot more.

13. jlchau

jlchau Senior member

Are those the cordovan ones? How much shipped to LA?

14. Rady1112

Rady1112 New Member

Hi Sorry guys went on a vacation. Just got back. The shoe measures 27 cm outside.

15. round

round Senior member

Where can I buy a pair, im in the US.

16. icecube

icecube Member

Seems like a good brand. Anybody know if they can sport wide feet, like in the EEE range?

17. jlchau

jlchau Senior member

Is a MOTO write up ever happening? @nicelynice @Synthese @LA Guy

18. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

It will happen! I've been busy with personal life stuff recently and need to give it my attention. Soon!!

19. mattynz1

mattynz1 New Member

Just a heads up that there are two pairs of Moto Motoratory derbies from different sellers on grailed right now.