• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Least Nationalistic Countries

Switz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jessis
This is an interesting question. People away from home are more nationalistic and patriotic. I would throw out there Switzerland amongst developed countries and Vietnam amongst those developing...
Having lived in both countries, I can assure you the Swiss are more nationalistic than Americans. The Swiss are famous for being neutral now, but they were once famous for their mercenaries; hence the Swiss Guard at the Vatican. In general, European countries range from a bit more to a lot more nationalistic than the US (just look at France or Italy) though I'd imagine somewhere like Iceland, Greenland and maybe some Baltic states wouldn't be too big on nationalism.

BBC

Reaction score
Greenland? Does an autonomous country in a commonwealth count?

Mauitius? - nationally proud of the dodo and for making cheap shirts?

Bhutan? - until recently the last of the Buddhist monarchies. Happiest country in Asia.

z7f9q

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
I couldn't agree less. Here in Korea Canadians are without any contest the most nationalistic around. If you meet one, they'll be sure to remind you that they're Canadian in the first 2 minutes of conversation.

They're probably trying to establish they're not americans. Same as the NZ/Australia dynamic abroad.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by z7f9q
They're probably trying to establish they're not americans. Same as the NZ/Australia dynamic abroad.

I can follow that.

It's that whole...

US/Canada
Australia/New Zealand
Germany/Austria
Coca Cola/Sam's Choice

...thing

I keed, I keed. Half my friends out here are Canadians.

Bradden

Reaction score
I find Canadian nationalism shows itself when it is convenient.

Hockey - Yes
being compared to the US - Yes
Best places to live Economist polls - Yes
Actors once they make it in the US - Yes
Boxers once they change their citizenship to UK - Yes

Aside from that many in Canada are hyphenated.

Italian- Canadian
Polish - Canadian
Chinese - Canadian

Any time there is a conflict Kosovo, Iraq, Afganistan the hyphenated drop their hyphens and become people of their ancestral homes until the matter is resolved then they go back to the convenience of being Canadian.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
There isn't a unified Canadian identity so these kind of affirmations are pointless.

Fun though.

Proverb

Reaction score
Spain, Greece, Island or maybe Thailand. I would probably say Australia as well, but I've never been so I'll refrain from guessing.

And as some have mentioned; Norwegians are very nationalistic.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
Japan, Germany

laugh.gif

rapdancin

Reaction score
germany for sure though

except during world cup/euro cup

Valor

Reaction score
1. Every other country
2. France

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
Maybe they are nationalistic for the wrong reasons. To this day, they still celebrate the "defeat" of the the Mongols' onslaught in 1241 when the opposite is true. Poles are a joke.
laugh.gif
The funny thing is that I've met so many Polish skinheads recently, some even with Jewish surnames, that I start to think these assholes really do not know a thing about their own history.

Polish skinheads in South Africa? Maybe not the best sample.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads