least favorite cities

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Dec 1, 2004.

1. justlurkingthanks

justlurkingthanks Senior member

Drizz: There's a world of difference between Syracuse and Ithaca (the location of Cornell). Ithaca is a charming town with amazing gorges and good hippie ambiance. Syracuse is desolate.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Gotta agree on that. It is one of the loneliest seeming places on earth...

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I am aware that there is a big difference between Syracuse and Ithaca, and Syracuse is certainly worse, however, they do have similar weather, and as I recall, Cornell has the highest suicide rate of the top 25 schools... maybe it's that bridge over the gorge there...

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(ViroBono @ 01 Dec. 2004, 11:36) Paris - dog mess capital of the world, and home of the restaurant and cafe rip-off.
    Ah, only if you don't know where to go. I've had some amazing meals (though almost always lunches) in Paris in the past year that cost no more than 15 euros a head, including decent house wine and an aperitif. It's all in the knowledge, or the research, as most here could attest. The dog problem though, it is bad, but Buenos Aires is just as bad, if not worse.
    ? Where in BS? Jon.

5. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

No one nominated San Francisco?

I'll never understand this one. The city, with its unique combination of shitty public transportation, no parking and hills, is a total pain in the ass to get around. And even if you were to get around, where would you go? A Golden State Warriors game? The architecture is dismal - the most interesting building looks like it was designed by someone spilling coffee on the blueprints to the Eiffel Tower. No university to speak of. Dinner at Gary Danko, supposedly the best in town, was like a glorified Olive Garden. I wasn't sure if I should mock the SFMOMA or feel pity for the people who have to go there. And the streets? Jesus, there are more dirty bums than a gay bar. It's like Crackton. The only redeeming thing in this city is the Golden Gate bridge, and only because you can use it to get the f*ck out of there.

6. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Tell us how you really feel about SF Peter.

I think SF has some nice Chinese food, and the architecture is better than most cities on the West Coast (perhaps excluding seattle)

The other restaurants I've eaten at there (Boulevard, Aqua, Fleur de Lys) have been pretty good, and the shopping is not bad.

I have some cool pics from SF that I will post soon. It's funny how everyone refers to cities that they think are pretty around the world as looking like SF.

7. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

I am shocked that anyone would nominate SF. The city is full of character, diversity (people, cultural, and geographical) with the only real downside being the cost of living. You need to visit SF more often Peter. [​IMG]

8. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

wow. i'm almost tempted to guess you've never actually been there.

people talk about the lack of parking, but i've never had trouble finding it. the buses are on time and they sometimes let you on for free.

the residential architecture is beautiful.

they have uc berkely and stanford in the area. and even if they didn't have a universuty, who cares?

yes, there are some homeless, but not as many as in l.a.

9. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

UCSF is also in SF, it's pretty good, at least for graduate studies.

LA would be on my list, if it were a city, which it's not.

10. matadorpoeta

regarding tijuana: when i was a little boy of say, 5 or 6, tj was my favorite city. we would go down there to buy pinatas whenever there was a birthday in the family. in those days you couldn't get them over here.

what struck me most was that it seemed like a real city, with lots of action, sidewalks crowded with people, lights everywhere, and there was just something warm about it to me.

now that i'm older i agree it can be depressing. though i still think that generally the people there are very friendly and it's actually not as poor as some perceive it to be. they used to have some big money boxing matches there, and they still might.

i only go there now when there is a good bullfight, which is once or twice a year. "el juli" was there a couple of years ago and fernando ochoa is excellent as well.

11. matadorpoeta

my least favorite city is anywhere with an abundance of tract housing.

12. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

I've been probably 50 times over the past ten years. When the best thing you can say about it is that the buses are on time, what does that say about the city?

13. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

Did you not read my last response? Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I am absolutely perplexed how anyone could call SF one of their least favorite cities. Sure, it has it's problems like alot of other cities, but I think there are many advantages to the city that more then offset the disadvantages. The city is full of character, and has alot to offer.

14. matadorpoeta

i only brought up the buses because you did.

i agree with pink. sf is cool if you know where to go and if you have friends there even better.

it's easy to find good food there too. there's a good place on practically every block.

15. jasonpraxis

jasonpraxis Well-Known Member

Agreed; Syracuse is a great example of a dying rust belt town. I got my BA from Syracuse University, and if you spend too much time there, or too much time with lifelong residents, you can catch the local depression pretty easily. That said, I had an OK time there when I wasn't studying. There are a couple of good bars downtown, and the Dinosaur BBQ is awesome.

My addition to the list? New York City. Too loud, too crowded, too dirty, too expensive. (Yeah, I know, greatest x in the y, but I can't wait to move somewhere else.)