• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leasing v. Buying Entry-Level Luxury

syght

Reaction score
For a law student graduating this year, thankfully promised a decent salary in this horrible economy, what considerations should go into my decision regarding leasing or buying my first car.

Assume we're talking Audi or BMW --

I know Audi (and perhaps BMW) has a program for recent graduates looking to lease (I believe they give a bit more wiggle-room when considering credit history and score). That would factor in.

Other factors:

1. I'd be in NYC. Crappy roads. Cuts in favor of leasing.
2. Wouldn't be driving a ridiculous amount (10-15K miles maybe). Cuts both ways.
3. Would want to switch cars in a couple of years. Cuts in favor of leasing.
4. Would be taking a significant pay cut in 4 years (so wouldn't be able to afford a brand new BMW or Audi then). Cuts in favor of purchasing.

Thoughts?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't squander your money on leasing a fancy car. I know that it's tempting after not having crap as a student for so many years (I say this as someone graduating next year; unfortunately I have at least 3 years of making $40-50k first before I can make any real money) but shouldn't you focus on making some savings first? Especially since you say you're taking a significant pay cut in 4 years.

I know that's not what you want to hear but those are my thoughts.

KBW

Reaction score
Why are you taking such a pay cut in 4 years?

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
Why are you taking such a pay cut in 4 years?

strippers have a very short shelf life.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
strippers have a very short shelf life.
rimshot.gif

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given the current state of the economy and if you know your pay will go down in a few years, I'm not sure it's such a good idea to get an expensive car right now...

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Owning a car in NYC is not very smart choice.

Millerp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz

Agree.

Parking and insurance is rediculous.

Just rent a car by the day/week if/when you need one.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like everyone else, in NYC forget about the car. I live in DC and the first thing that went was my car. I would do the same in NYC.

By the way, you were "promised" a job? Promises were meant to be broken, especially in this economy and in NYC and for a lawyer

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
If you're living IN Manhattan, it's almost a physical impossibility, let alone a choice.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Don't squander your money on leasing a fancy car. I know that it's tempting after not having crap as a student for so many years (I say this as someone graduating next year; unfortunately I have at least 3 years of making $40-50k first before I can make any real money) but shouldn't you focus on making some savings first? Especially since you say you're taking a significant pay cut in 4 years. I know that's not what you want to hear but those are my thoughts.
I tend to agree.

danyllau

Reaction score
I like to think that lease/finance(buying) is the same thing, it has more to do with how fast you want to repay the money if you are borrowing. Lease costs are just glorified interest (you pay back less principle per year but more interest), especially b/c I think cars are not hard to get rid of at a reasonable price. If you have better use of you cash, then do lease by all means. But if it is a better investment to avoid those extra interest, then you should buy and pay more towards the principle.

Also, at the end of the lease you are not particularly free from it, you will often have to pay extra from damage, and especially new tires; and you may want to buy it out b/c it the buy-out price is just a bit below. You just avoid "some" of the risks, but you do pay more interest + extra for it.

Lucky7

Reaction score
Go read The Millionaire Next Door first. Leasing, unless you have the ability to write the entire "nut" off is absolutely pointless. I'm not going to "school" you on the whole living in the city thing with a car, I'm assuming you already know that.

1. Why not buy a certified pre-owned vehicle and let someone else eat the depreciation? You still get a 100k warranty with BMW or Audi..take a A4, 3-Series, or 5 -Series for example..sticker cost new = $45,000. Three years later the car is now selling for $25,000 with a warranty...you would be silly to buy the car new.

2. Why the pay cut? If you buy, you will always have it..nobody can take it away from you. If you lease, and your situation is different in 3 years you still must buy something in order to have wheels.

See if you can work for a little while to get some downpayment money..if not pay off the whole thing. I'm not a "payments" type of guy. I pay everything off from the start..I just hate the thought of paying interest to someone that I don't need to be dealing with in the first place.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads