• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Learning to tailor resources/advice?

Idesofmarch17

Reaction score
Okay so the significant other is really getting into trying to sew her own clothes given these COVID times and the fact that we will never have to go into the office again (at least for the next 6+ months), so I would like to get into learning how to tailor my own clothes (hemming pants, taking shirts in, etc. and hopefully one day start attempting my own pants, etc.). I fully recognize tailoring takes a lifetime to learn and master, so this would be more of just a side activity to spend some quality time with her.

Okay, so with that in mind, are there some good youtube/internet resources on how to start learning these skills? Also, where might there be good places to look for fabric to practice on, etc (like attempt to make pants) that is not trash? I tried to look up some resources last night but it seems like you have to have a relationship with an agent for most mills? And ebay/etsy are full of trash from what I read on here. Any advice on resources, how to get started, etc. would be awesome.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where do you live?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you want to sew as a hobby or practice to a professional level of sewing, it's the same starting point. Learn how to sew before you learn how to sew. Find out if you like sewing or have the patient temperament for it.

Buy cloth to practice with at a Joann's fabric store or a Hobby lobby. Learn to sew a straight line on a machine, meaning the width of your stitch is the same distance from the cut edge all along the length of the seam and the stitch line is straight, nor curvy. Sew two pieces of cloth together and learn how to hold the cloth when sewing by machine so the cut ends line up, meaning one side doesn't stretch and the top cloth is longer than the bottom or vice versa. Cut all the buttons off of a shirt and resew them by hand.
This is like learning to play scales on a musical instrument or learning to dribble a basketball.
The point of sewing exercises like this is to be proficient enough at the basics of sewing so you don't get frustrated when you try to make something and quit. It takes patience and time to learn to sew a garment together but it's harder if your are learning basic sewing skills at the same time you are trying to make something. If you can sew a straight line you might avoid the frustration of ripping out seams when you make something because it's not looking right because it isn't sewn straight or evenly. This still happens to me and have been sewing for decades.

Make a trouser form cheap muslin before you try a more expensive wool.
Doing this will let you see how the pattern fits without wasting cloth.
Choose wool cloth that has weight and body because it is easier to learn on. Light weight cloth is tricky to sew and you need your sewing techniques honed to make it look nice. Wool is easier to sew than cotton.

There are so many YouTube sewing videos but I don't know any to recommend. Have seen some really bad ones and some good ones. You have to find the ones you can easily understand what they are teaching. Think this is different for everyone. I might find one that is useful to me but not you.
JefferyD and I have discussed this and both agree it is very difficult to learn form videos or books. Someone has to give you analysis and feedback, someone has to see your sewing.
Have helped a lot of people with their sewing but they don't see what is wrong because they don't have an experienced eye for what is wrong or know how to correct it.

Saying all this to encourage you. If you focus on learning a basic skill set it will help you when you want to make something. Many people get frustrated and quit when it is too challenging to get a decent result.
Just helped someone making cloth bags. Their frustration with the end results improved by learning appropriate sewing techniques and the bags became easier to make.
Having a grasp of basic sewing skills should build your confidence when you want to make something.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Despos obviously knows much more about this than me. I once spent time trying to learn how to use a sewing machine, but didn't get very far into the basics.

I once interviewed two people who learned how to make their own clothes, however. Generally don't like posting links to stuff I've written because it feels self-promotional. But you may find these two posts helpful. Maybe you can also reach out to those people directly for advice.

The second post here will be more helpful for you than the first. Both of these were written during a time when the site was on a different layout, so the content is a bit short.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks to you both. Greatly appreciate it!

If you decide to pursue this, there's a DIY thread on the SWD side of the forum. It's not terribly active, but if you make progress, I'm sure people who subscribe to that thread (which includes me) would love seeing your work. I think the community there is pretty supportive. (Also, I've been impressed with what I've seen members here make. One guy made a pair of shoes for himself)

Also, with the caveat that I'm really not an expert in this area, but sometimes I watch this woman on YouTube. She has a sewing channel. I'm not proficient enough to say whether her channel is good or bad, but her videos are engaging and interesting. I'm just posting a random one here, but if you go through her archive, you can find lots more.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
“Trouser Making” by David Coffin would be a good book.
Would guide you through the steps of making a trouser. Good to know the sequence. What to do first and so on.
When you get comfortable using a sewing machine, try making pockets on scrap material. Better to make a mistake or learn on scraps. You will have more questions about sewing after you start sewing.

Idesofmarch17

Reaction score
“Trouser Making” by David Coffin would be a good book.
Would guide you through the steps of making a trouser. Good to know the sequence. What to do first and so on.
When you get comfortable using a sewing machine, try making pockets on scrap material. Better to make a mistake or learn on scraps. You will have more questions about sewing after you start sewing.
Thanks, just ordered a copy. Yeah I am sure I will be back with more questions. Going to start just learning basic sewing machine skills this week. I would welcome if anyone else is interested in starting, to join with me and we can learn a new skill during COVID.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, just ordered a copy. Yeah I am sure I will be back with more questions. Going to start just learning basic sewing machine skills this week. I would welcome if anyone else is interested in starting, to join with me and we can learn a new skill during COVID.
I just started reading/learning about cutting patterns. Obviously I will be pestering my tailor if I have any questions ?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just started reading/learning about cutting patterns. Obviously I will be pestering my tailor if I have any questions ?
What source are you reading?

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What source are you reading?

Modern Garment Design and Grading: Clothing for Men and Boys, by Master Designer.
Frank recommended it. Any suggestions, Chris?
I also have the Blue Book of Mens Tailoring (might be outdated), and King Wilson The Art of Cutting and Fitting.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
aware of the Master Designer book. Don't know the other two books.
Check out the books by Roberto Cabrera
"Classic Tailoring Techniques, a construction guide for men's wear"
He taught at FIT and the books (first & second editions) are more text book like. Written for students. Most design oriented books are technical books and more relevant to designers/pattern makers looking for derivative's or how to create specific garments.

FIT has a book store, that's a good source for books.
The Cabrera books can be found on Amazon

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads