• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Learning to dress well

NoK

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has advice for someone only just starting to take a serious interest in their appearance. Starting in my early 30s puts me in a slightly different boat than a number of you, but I might be wrong about that.

For a while now, I've been trying to dress better, eat better, etc etc... but it's all been a pretty hollow experience. It's not been personal at all.

I feel that all I have really learned are negatives - what looks bad, or fits poorly. I never really learned how to find what I LIKE and what is good for me and my lifestyle. I find clothes shopping intimidating because I have no goal in mind, and I have a hard time relating to the concept of buying things that look good on me. I don't have my own style at all. I really want to change that.

What's the mindset that I'm missing? For anyone who's done it, how do I overcome this, and start to find my own niche?

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoK
Starting in my early 30s puts me in a slightly different boat than a number of you, but I might be wrong about that.

You are wrong about that. Many many people here started in their 30's.

Stick around here, learn to buy the basics and it will all come to you over time.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Step one is to get well-fitting basics from a place like Uniqlo. You want things slim but not tight--make sure your clothing skims the lines of your body, so to speak.

Browse through the WAYWT thread, PM members if you like stuff. Get a sense of your preferred aesthetic, take your time, and buy slowly. Go to a department store and try stuff on.

While you do that, go to the gym and get in shape, it'll probably make you feel more satisfied than buying clothes if you find that to be a hollow experience.

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
First post and been here for over a year? If you don't get it now I don't think you ever will.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First step is to look around and see what kind of styles you like and work from there.

NoK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HelloIDistance
First post and been here for over a year? If you don't get it now I don't think you ever will.

I moved from the US to Sweden in November of 08, and was doing unpaid work for a large portion of my time here. I was given enough cash to pay rent.

I've had a normal job for 4 months, so I finally have some cash to spend on myself. I will also be back in the US for Christmas, where it will cost about 40% less or even cheaper for just about everything that I'd want to buy. I'm trying to get back on track.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Why does everyone think this is a science? Look at clothes, street snaps, WAYWT, lots of **** and try lots of things and your taste will organically develop.

time to hit the lab.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Why does everyone think this is a science? Look at clothes, street snaps, WAYWT, lots of **** and try lots of things and your taste will organically develop.

good advice.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
It's a process. First you you need to learn about fit and what doesn't look good before you can cultivate a style your own. Once you have that down then it will take experimentation and trial and error before you find your groove.

Or you can use a formulaic approach that can be found in mc though it's a bit sterile and predictable. If you're find with that browse the thread their to discover their version of casual and maybe it will appeal to you.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Wait for a thread where a new peron asks for advice on how to dress well.

2. Mock him.

3. Now get ready for the Sartorialist to photograph you.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoK
For a while now, I've been trying to dress better, eat better, etc etc...

So you were what, eating everything with just your fingers before you found us? As Jet suggests, maybe the key to dressing better is not to post the question in the Streetwear and Denim forum.

wrongturnsteve

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Step one is to get well-fitting basics from a place like Uniqlo. You want things slim but not tight--make sure your clothing skims the lines of your body, so to speak.

Browse through the WAYWT thread, PM members if you like stuff. Get a sense of your preferred aesthetic, take your time, and buy slowly. Go to a department store and try stuff on.

While you do that, go to the gym and get in shape, it'll probably make you feel more satisfied than buying clothes if you find that to be a hollow experience.

this is great advice

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads