• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Learning martial arts with poor distance vision

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
hmm. That's an interesting one.

I am blind in one eye, which makes a huge mess of my depth perception, but that said, I still seem to do ok. But...I dont have any trouble watching an instructor from the other side of the room.

A couple of options...maybe try BJJ, since everything is ultra close quarters...otherwise, ya, get contacts.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I'm far from an expert in matters-jits, but I tend to find it a style that requires vision less than all others, mostly because you spend so much time tangled up and unable to see what is happening anyhow, you just kinda feel his foot hook your ankle and know that a sweep is coming from last time - so dont rule it out til you try it.

BTW you could also consider judo...again, very close quarters stuff, and I know that there are blind judo teams, so I guess that means people figure it out somehow.

At "fighting range" - which varies greatly between styles, but let's just say for argument's sake within 2 meters - can you see ok?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
oh and one other thought since you are keen on BJJ - I've never actually seen anyone in them, but I would imagine you could pretty safely wear those Kareem Abdul Jabbar-style sport glasses things while rolling.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I can see ok at 2m but i can't make out details eg shirt patterns or french cuffs
would you trust your ~2m vision while boxing?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I know a guy who is legally blind who is very decent in jiu-jitsu and has decent striking. For striking, just wear contacts, it's fine. Jiujitsu doesn't require vision, you can do it with your eyes shut.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
american kenpo could be possible. I have never done but some describe it as extremely close quarters, even thogh soem is taught for middle/long range.

you might want try asking on this forum martialtalk.com it is not the best forum for specific art but for general questions is good

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
If you have more specific questions I would like to recommend bullshido.net for straight up answers.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Can someone with poor distance vision (ie very shortsighted) learn martial arts? I mean if you can't even see what the instructor is doing (without your glasses on), what's the point of spending money on lessons? (Apart from wearing contacts, is there any other alternative?)

Why do you want to learn a martial art?

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BJJ as mentioned but I'd seek a gi-less school, or start with catch wrestling. the Gi and its associative techniques are fine, but if you're looking to do this without sight, body to body will be easier and faster to learn. Just watch out for the dreaded butt drag move... For striking, get private training. You'll be within a 18 - 24 inches of the trainer almost the entire time.

emptym

Reaction score
I was very nearsighted and wore contacts while training. Worked well until one nationals when one kick (landed after the ref called break) knocked one contact out and another kick (also after break) folded the other into fourths w/in my eye. Wasn't good. I got lasik a few years later (now ten yrs ago) and love it.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Matt, isn't it dangerous riding a motorcycle one eyed?

Originally Posted by m@T
hmm. That's an interesting one.

I am blind in one eye, which makes a huge mess of my depth perception, but that said, I still seem to do ok. But...I dont have any trouble watching an instructor from the other side of the room.

A couple of options...maybe try BJJ, since everything is ultra close quarters...otherwise, ya, get contacts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics