• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Learning Korean?

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I want to learn Korean, however the course at my school only offers second semester Korean...

Do you guys have any recommendations as to programs or textbooks that are good? I would opt for programs like Rosetta Stone however 200$ is alot...

Thanks!

jdcpa

Reaction score
I would ask your school about what text books they use. If you are interested in joining the class you might be able to just use the first half of their book, unless they use readings. If they do have a book, you might be able to do the first few chapters. Usually a big part of first semester Korean is learning the alphabet (which is very logical and simple) and then simple grammar. I am sure you could catch up if you are very interested.

Do you know if it is just second semester Korean or Korean for Korean speakers. There will be a big difference if the class is designed for people with asian language backgrounds. Depending on your history this may or may not be a problem. In my undergrad each year of Mandarin Chinese was divided into three tracks, 1 speaker non writer, 2 speaker of non Mandarin dialect, 3 non speaker non writer. I was fine in 2 or 3 but there was no way to even pass 1.
language

Cheers

Mauby

Reaction score
I recommend the Pimsleur series of CDs. I'm sure you could find a torrent if you really were in need.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i need to learn how to speak it too. im fed up being made fun of by all the ahjumas everywhere i go
laugh.gif
The best way IMHO to learn Korean is to watch Korean dramas (soap operas) on whatever Korean channels your cable company can provide (MBC, KBS, etc.) and watch Korean dvds of dramas and movies.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
laugh.gif

The best way IMHO to learn Korean is to watch Korean dramas (soap operas) on whatever Korean channels your cable company can provide (MBC, KBS, etc.) and watch Korean dvds of dramas and movies.

And then you too can be just like Jinda!
laugh.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
laugh.gif

i watch the soaps almost every night, due to my wife, but i havent learned anything, i guess because i watch so passively (doing other things while she is watching it).

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i watch the soaps almost every night, due to my wife, but i havent learned anything, i guess because i watch so passively (doing other things while she is watching it).

why dont you just ask her to teach you then?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
yeah dont you think we tried already? she tries to teach me anytime she can but it gets old quick and i dont remember too well.
just like when i try to teach her some english, it doesnt stick.

so we actually communicate Konglish to each other all these years, which peculiarly, always worked out for us. that is our quirk in our relationship.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so your wife is a fob while you are not? i didnt think those types mixed.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
so your wife is a fob while you are not? i didnt think those types mixed.

yes. i didnt think also. she's not a fob in lifestyle, she's been here since high school, but language wise she never really became fully fluent. in that sense, i guess, she is a fob.
but we just clicked and never had a problem communicating , because i grew up speaking Konglish anyways.
to my parents, aunts, cousins, etc.

i have a white friend who married a korean girl (who is my wife's one of best friends) who overheard me speak korean to my wife over the phone..
he said, "Man, your korean..suuuuuccks!!"
lol

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes. i didnt think also. she's not a fob in lifestyle, she's been here since high school, but language wise she never really became fully fluent. in that sense, i guess, she is a fob.
but we just clicked and never had a problem communicating , because i grew up speaking Konglish anyways.
to my parents, aunts, cousins, etc.

i have a white friend who married a korean girl (who is my wife's one of best friends) who overheard me speak korean to my wife over the phone..
he said, "Man, your korean..suuuuuccks!!"
lol

is this konglish?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads