• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Learning Korean?

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I want to learn Korean, however the course at my school only offers second semester Korean...

Do you guys have any recommendations as to programs or textbooks that are good? I would opt for programs like Rosetta Stone however 200$ is alot...

Thanks!

jdcpa

Reaction score
I would ask your school about what text books they use. If you are interested in joining the class you might be able to just use the first half of their book, unless they use readings. If they do have a book, you might be able to do the first few chapters. Usually a big part of first semester Korean is learning the alphabet (which is very logical and simple) and then simple grammar. I am sure you could catch up if you are very interested.

Do you know if it is just second semester Korean or Korean for Korean speakers. There will be a big difference if the class is designed for people with asian language backgrounds. Depending on your history this may or may not be a problem. In my undergrad each year of Mandarin Chinese was divided into three tracks, 1 speaker non writer, 2 speaker of non Mandarin dialect, 3 non speaker non writer. I was fine in 2 or 3 but there was no way to even pass 1.
language

Cheers

Mauby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recommend the Pimsleur series of CDs. I'm sure you could find a torrent if you really were in need.

amerikajinda

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i need to learn how to speak it too. im fed up being made fun of by all the ahjumas everywhere i go
The best way IMHO to learn Korean is to watch Korean dramas (soap operas) on whatever Korean channels your cable company can provide (MBC, KBS, etc.) and watch Korean dvds of dramas and movies.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda

The best way IMHO to learn Korean is to watch Korean dramas (soap operas) on whatever Korean channels your cable company can provide (MBC, KBS, etc.) and watch Korean dvds of dramas and movies.

And then you too can be just like Jinda!

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda

i watch the soaps almost every night, due to my wife, but i havent learned anything, i guess because i watch so passively (doing other things while she is watching it).

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i watch the soaps almost every night, due to my wife, but i havent learned anything, i guess because i watch so passively (doing other things while she is watching it).

why dont you just ask her to teach you then?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
yeah dont you think we tried already? she tries to teach me anytime she can but it gets old quick and i dont remember too well.
just like when i try to teach her some english, it doesnt stick.

so we actually communicate Konglish to each other all these years, which peculiarly, always worked out for us. that is our quirk in our relationship.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so your wife is a fob while you are not? i didnt think those types mixed.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
so your wife is a fob while you are not? i didnt think those types mixed.

yes. i didnt think also. she's not a fob in lifestyle, she's been here since high school, but language wise she never really became fully fluent. in that sense, i guess, she is a fob.
but we just clicked and never had a problem communicating , because i grew up speaking Konglish anyways.
to my parents, aunts, cousins, etc.

i have a white friend who married a korean girl (who is my wife's one of best friends) who overheard me speak korean to my wife over the phone..
he said, "Man, your korean..suuuuuccks!!"
lol

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes. i didnt think also. she's not a fob in lifestyle, she's been here since high school, but language wise she never really became fully fluent. in that sense, i guess, she is a fob.
but we just clicked and never had a problem communicating , because i grew up speaking Konglish anyways.
to my parents, aunts, cousins, etc.

i have a white friend who married a korean girl (who is my wife's one of best friends) who overheard me speak korean to my wife over the phone..
he said, "Man, your korean..suuuuuccks!!"
lol

is this konglish?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 133 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 250 32.6%