1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Learning How to Knit?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Working Stiff, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Senior member

I'm thinking about learning how to knit. Does anyone here know how to knit? Is it hard to learn? Right now, I can knit my brow; looking to move up to scarves and such ([​IMG]).

Also, I will obviously want yarn in cashmere, alpaca, and the like. How much does luxury yarn cost?

2. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

Our esteemed member, Axle, is an expert at knitting and all things alpha.

3. Working Stiff

I had hoped for more from this thread. I guess I'll just go it alone.

4. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean Senior member

Does anyone here know how to knit?

Perhaps the silence just answers your question?

One of my former coworkers used to knit and found it highly relaxing. He would often bring his gear to work. He also got laid on a regular basis. Sorry, that's all I got.

5. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

It's not too difficult. There's some good tutorials on youtube that should help you out with the basics.

6. Working Stiff

We got ~6 inches of snow last night, and I don't want to go anywhere. If I had knitting stuff, this would be a great afternoon for knitting. Maybe make myself a mug of ovaltine. Would be nice.

7. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

8. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

I can't knit at all, but my wife is heavily into crochet. She asked me to choose a wool for a scarf she's making me, and I was actually quite surprised at how cheap even the upmarket yarns are.

As far as I can gather, knitting is not particularly difficult to learn but some people find it hard to get their head around. For example although my wife can crochet beautifully she failed to learn to knit despite several attempts.

Anyway, I think you should go for it: you obviously have the enthusiasm and it's cheap to get started.

9. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Real men get wire and make chain mail. If you need any armoring tips, let me know. I did this a lot when I LARPed.

10. shellshock

shellshock Senior member

I'm thinking about learning how to knit. Does anyone here know how to knit? Is it hard to learn? Right now, I can knit my brow; looking to move up to scarves and such ([​IMG]).

Also, I will obviously want yarn in cashmere, alpaca, and the like. How much does luxury yarn cost?

its not too hard to learn. buy a book or watch some youtube videos. go to michael's and pick up some supplies to get started. they even have a few pretty nice natural fiber yarns, for ~$4-5 per skein.

i too prefer crochet for some reason. it was easier for me to learn more complicated stitches and i just stuck with it where as with knitting i can only knit and purl.

+1 on asking your grandma.

11. unjung

unjung Senior member

While searching for a picture to post from Demolition Man, I found this book.

12. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

I'm thinking about learning how to knit. Does anyone here know how to knit? Is it hard to learn? Right now, I can knit my brow; looking to move up to scarves and such ([​IMG]). Also, I will obviously want yarn in cashmere, alpaca, and the like. How much does luxury yarn cost?
    Where do you live? I have a friend in PDX that is all about it. Is part of some knitting collective. Has a skull and crossed knitting needles tattooed on his chest. No joke. Oh and when you do get started some friends of mine hand lathe the best wooden knitting needles in the world.

13. Working Stiff

OK, Going to go tomorrow and buy some basic knitting supplies. Unfortunately, my grandma is far to senile to teach me, but I've watched a couple of youtube videos, and it looks like I should be able to do this. I am optimistic.

14. Working Stiff

Had a couple of false starts this afternoon, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. On my way to a sweet, useless knit square!

15. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

next up, wool underwear

16. Working Stiff

Completed a god-damn sweet knit coaster. Artisinal quality. Hand made, one of a kind.

17. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Real men get wire and make chain mail. If you need any armoring tips, let me know. I did this a lot when I LARPed.

[​IMG]

18. jergensCsquad

jergensCsquad Active Member

I know how to crochet. I learned so that I could make my self winter hats. Crochet is rather easy to learn.

19. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

actually been wanting to do this and make my own cardigans and such...