• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Learning How To Dance...

Autoclave

Reaction score
I'm white and have no rhythm. Where's a good place to start?

erbs

Reaction score
Bump-and-grind club dancing or ballroom/swing stuff?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erbs
Bump-and-grind club dancing or ballroom/swing stuff?

Judging from the question, I would guess bump-and-grind club dancing since formal dance classes are relatively easy to find. That being said, I think some formal social dance classes would definately help in the lack of rythym department as would picking up an instrument. Once you have that down it is a matter of learning some "bump-and-grind club dancing" moves instead of swing/waltz/pokla/whatever which I am not entirely sure how I learned so I can't give any real guidance...

how did other people learn (other than by making a fool of yourself earlier in life until things started to look right)?

Mauby

Reaction score
Plenty of places offer urban/contemporary dance classes. Why not start there? Don't worry, you wouldn't be the only one without rhythm - they exist to help non-dancers dance.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I 'learned' by attending night clubs from the age of 16 and drinking plenty (at a conservative estimate) of alcohol.

If you've seen the film Napolean Dynamite, the eponymous hero does ok by picking up an instructional video in a charity shop.

level32

Reaction score
I present you the ultimate guide to clubbing techniques.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Autoclave
I'm white and have no rhythm. Where's a good place to start?

I do Salsa and Bachata for two years now. I did not know how to dance before and I took lessons-- Now I can dance! If you're young and you have a good sense of coordination then I think you can teach yourself by watching instructional material on dancing. However, it's always better to join dance classes, this way you learn how to dance properly and also you get to meet cute girls at the same time!

What is your objective? Do you want to do solo dancing or partner dancing?

adamsnez

Reaction score
^^ im at work so cant watch that, bus is with the guy in the spiderman costume? BLUE42!! I do that to girls at clubs and straight weirds them out i love it LOL! Anyways ... "im white and...."STFU, kindly and with all due respect [NOTE: Said jokingly so m@T cant claim im fighting again
smile.gif
].. this is a terrible excuse, and "joke" people use. WTF Does skin tone have to do with dancing i dont even know how this saying started. Some pointers i'll give you, and how i went through my dancing learning curve 1) you will suck. flat out. the friend who intro'ed me to dancing said "adam, you look like a fish out of water"... HELL YA I DID! The good thing about knowing/hearing stuff like this is - it cant get any worse than what you start with. start following music attentively, tapping, humming, being aware and taking note of being ON TIME with the beat. simple beats first, then more complex to train the brain into adapting. if you only know how to keep a beat in 4/4 time or a certain BPM(beats per min), it may throw you off when a different rhythm starts playing. Not all songs are the same throughout... 2) become a "basement dancer". i set up a large mirror in my basement and watched myself. you will learn SO MUCH SLOWER if you can't view from outside of 'first person'. As odd/geeky as it sounds, it will help twentfold. record yourself with a webcam/video cam if you feel necessary. Laugh now, be proud later when you are tearing up rug
wink.gif
3) watch others. youtube, "dancing with the stars/so u think you can dance", AT THE CLUBS specifically if you want the 'bump-n-grind'... Just act casual about your "research" and not the creepy guy staring at people on the floor. sit around the floor with a group of people and maintain convo while observing. learning through obersvation is GREAT. first time i was EVER on a dancefloor, was at a large city festival. my friend and i had found two girls and decided to dance. Naturally, the easiest thing to do was grind (which is whack now
wink.gif
) but it's the easiest to learn. He just said "watch me, and copy what i do".. I managed to fake my way through it without being a TOTAL let down. 4) be confident, if anything, fake it and act liike you know what you're doing once you've sorta down your homework in the learning process. if you're out there like a stiff and worried about what people are thinking of the new dancer, you'll give off the vibe. be care free man. 5) my BEST point in this entire schpiel: NOTHING ruins a dancer, and says "i cant dance", more than someone who's on the floor, and... off-beat, be it COMPLETELY off, or even just a bit. Hit the damn beat, please. Worry about your legs [and pelvis, i guess, if you're bumpNgrinding] mostly. lower body basically... when you feel more comfy as a dancer, then get into upper body hits. Even though i say this, it doesnt mean forget about your upper body and keep it still. Have a looseness to it, equally as loose IF NOT MORE than the bar girl you're dancing with. just try and have arm/shoulder flow. It helps to feel the beat, rather than just hear it. GOODLUCK and may your dance endevour be full of fun
smile.gif
snez

adamsnez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
What is your objective? Do you want to do solo dancing or partner dancing?
he said "bump and grind clubbing", thats why i skipped out on dance class in my above post.
its something you can learn to get by own by teaching yourself with a little bit of time involved.
if you want to learn technique and being "proper" on the floor [steps/etiquette] dance class is highly advisable

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adamsnez
he said "bump and grind clubbing", thats why i skipped out on dance class in my above post.
its something you can learn to get by own by teaching yourself with a little bit of time involved.
if you want to learn technique and being "proper" on the floor [steps/etiquette] dance class is highly advisable

I would still join dance class for even bump n grind dancing (like hip hop or reggeton classes). Believe me, if you don't do it properly, not many girls, especially hot ones won't bump n grind with you unless you're good looking or they're piss drunk.

adamsnez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
I would still join dance class for even bump n grind dancing (like hip hop or reggeton classes). Believe me, if you don't do it properly, not many girls, especially hot ones won't bump n grind with you unless you're good looking or they're piss drunk.
This is true, if anything, i think he would benefit most from a Hiphop class if he's willing to take the route. i just think for a cost effective way, and for what he's willing/wanting to do, i still stick to what i typed out. i never took any dance classes and turned out. if he IS willing to do the time and spent the coin, he may enjoy it. guys think being at dance class makes them less a man, WRONG. nothing gets to a girl like a man who can rip it

Eagle

Reaction score
The wife and I took lessons at an Arthur Murray studio. After several thousand $s worth of lessons my wife, paraphrasing the country singer, Toby Keith, said; "we're not as rich, as we once were but, you're about as good as you are ever going to get!"
wink.gif

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone can learn to dance. You really need to take classes though at least once a week. After a month, you'll start to get a feel for it. After a couple months I was able to start hearing the beats and changes in music too.

You really need to have a partner too. Rotating in class is best because you get used to all different levels. I did Swing for a while but I'm going to start taking Tango with my girlfriend one of these days.

Learning how to do it for fun is cool but people who dance all the time and host their own dance parties tend to be a bit strange.

I think basic ballroom would be a good start.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads