• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Learning how to cook

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say, nothing like Calphalon and Henckels, and just for good measure, the Pampered Chef baking ware is great too.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I personally prefer All Clad and Wusthof but it's all personal taste
smile.gif

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drizz, I like the All Clad a lot myself, however I do not like the fingerprints on the stainless, drives me nuts, Henckels, only because my parents spent the $550 for them and I did not, so honestly not sure of the difference, might have actually bought Chicago Cutlery if it had been my money....if I had a hanging rack over an island range, I def would go with the all-clad though I agree, if nothing else for aesthetics.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All Clad makes non stick pans as well as stainless/copper...

ViroBono

Reaction score
I am a keen (and self-taught) cook, when not living in the Mess. As Fabienne says, watching someone who knows what they are doing is useful - I've watched Chinese, Indian and Italian chefs and it's certainly helped me to produce better dishes. However, no matter how many people you watch, in person or on TV and in books, I would say the most important thing is to experiment. I never follow recipes slavishly, but rather see them as a suggestion on which to base a dish, or create a variation. I would recommend learning a few basic dishes first, and then building from there.

In terms of equipment, good knives are essential, but a beginner doesn't need many. For pans, I have used Le Creuset for years - they are the very heavy French cast-iron pans, and are superb. It's available worldwide.

Don't forget that good ingredients are also important, and for me the shopping is part of the overall pleasure.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also seldom follow a recipe to the letter. You appropriate it by adding and retrieving to your own liking.

Another thing that absolutely helps is when you cook for someone you love, or when you know those tasting your creations will truly appreciate it. Food is not solely nourishment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads