• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Learn martial art at home?

inq89

Reaction score
I don't have any extra cash for lessons, but I've always wanted to learn basic self defense or maybe pick up a martial art. Just something practical and effective enough for everyday matters. So is self-learning advisable or even possible? And what would you recommend?

(Mano Mano/Kali or Krav Magna look cool. Anyway I can learn those by myself?)

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tae Bo

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inq89
I don't have any extra cash for lessons, but I've always wanted to learn basic self defense or maybe pick up a martial art. Just something practical and effective enough for everyday matters. So is self-learning advisable or even possible? And what would you recommend?

It's going to be very hard to teach yourself anything of quality by yourself without a base knowledge to work from. Your also going to need at least one training partner to learn anything of value.

Your cheapest option is probably to find someone who is a medium to advanced student that wants a training partner to workout with. Meet with them on a regular basis, learn what you can and train.

However, your probably better off starting with lessons from a teacher. When I was learning I was paying $40/month for two classes a week. Save some money, spend less on clothing and spend it on some quality instruction. If your in or near a college you could also look into joining a club there, usually the cost is minimal.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The martial arts being practical or being practical as a day to day exercise?

I'd hate to think you need martial arts on a day to day basis.

Buy a heavy bag until you're ready to spend money on lessons.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform

Buy a heavy bag until you're ready to spend money on lessons.

Even then you need spend time learning how to properly wrap your hands and throw a punch or you could hurt yourself or you may learn bad habits from doing it repeatedly the wrong way. It's much easier spending time learning to do it the right way the first time then having to unlearn doing it the wrong way.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How close do you live to Kunk? He could probably show you some Sambo moves.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I don't have any extra cash for lessons, but I've always wanted to learn basic self defense or maybe pick up a martial art. Just something practical and effective enough for everyday matters. So is self-learning advisable or even possible? And what would you recommend? (Mano Mano/Kali or Krav Magna look cool. Anyway I can learn those by myself?)
This is not a Lil' John song, you cannot do it all by yourself.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
How close do you live to Kunk? He could probably show you some gay Appreciation moves.

FTFY

inq89

Reaction score
Yes I am in college as a grad student, but they don't have a martial arts club here and I don't have the scheduling to take a self defense class.

By practical, I mean knowing how to defend myself when the time arises, like being robbed or attacked. So I won't be using it as fitness because I have other forms of exercise for that, just want the knowledge of basic defensive and offensive moves, and possibly some sort of practice regimen that I could do 5min a day. Guess I am pushing learning a martial art too much...realize now that it's important for me to learn from instructors. Meanwhile, I want something to build my foundation on until I can afford $40 a month for lessons. I'll keep on a look out for people who I can train with, but are there any good websites or books to get me started that you could recommend?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
^^ It really will be useless. You need to practice under pressure against people trying to beat you. Really, anything else is a dangerous waste of time.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ya. Even in the first Karate Kid movie Daniel-san was getting his ass kicked with this method. I don't even think buying a bag is going to really help you much. You will just tire yourself out with bad technique. No one there to tell you to keep your elbows in and your chin tucked....no one to throw back at you when your hand drops etc. You will just teach yourself badly and then get progressively worse, develop bad habits and then become harder to retrain when you join a gym later. I second the 'bug your friends' system. I am generally pretty happy to help people out when they want to start training, and always looking for new sparring partners, so, if you happened to live in Vietnam, I'd be pretty damn useful
smile.gif
Otherwise - look at the cheaper martial arts...boxing and judo at local community centers are probably going to be your cheapest options - and are both great styles in their own way. Maybe tkd or karate as well, which I am a bit wary of as a general rule, but I suppose if you find a good teacher, that trumps style arguments. If you are a student, then also check out what your college has as martial arts options too - that tends to be way cheap. Slight twist on that if you are not a student, maybe the local colleges offer public training in the student classes for slightly higher fee (but probably still way cheaper than a fight gym). edit - just saw OP's most recent post - ok...nothing in your college...ignore that! but note, there is no fight style on earth that you will learn in five mins a day. edit2 - random dumb idea - is there anything you are particularly good at that you could craigslist/college noticeboard barter? ie 'teach me to box and ill teach you Spanish' kind of thing?

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can get a buddy, you can learn Krav Maga at a home. It may not be quite right, but it's more about enthusiasm and less about form. It's totally useless without a sparring/grappling/practice partner though. It would also be at least 45 minutes a session. It's hard to learn anything in 5 minutes a day.

Edit- Jiu-jitsu can be learned the same way. You form might be a bit off, but a free roll session at the end will help yall discover where the weakness in your form is.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
^^ It really will be useless. You need to practice under pressure against people trying to beat you. Really, anything else is a dangerous waste of time.

What if he uses that device that they say Bruce Lee used in that movie Dragon. The long wooden tube with the wooden pegs sticking out.

dunkin

Reaction score
wing chung dummy

and the best way to learn martial arts IMO is sparring / light sparring so you can get a feel for real time reactions and movements
u can hit a bag all you like but until you have someone coming at you in real time, you are not going to be comfortable to in a real life situation.....
fight[1].gif

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dunkin
wing chung dummy

and the best way to learn martial arts IMO is sparring / light sparring so you can get a feel for real time reactions and movements
u can hit a bag all you like but until you have someone coming at you in real time, you are not going to be comfortable to in a real life situation.....
fight[1].gif

I'll wing your chung you dope.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads