• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leap Year Day - are we working for free today?

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been trying to figure this out with a co-worker, but sometimes my logic/math skills are fuzzy.

Assuming you are on a fixed salary, doesn't an extra day in the month / year just mean you are working that day for free?

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont know. im not working today. :)

hobo style

Reaction score
You are working for free right now. Fight the man by spending your day poasting on interweb forums.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Been trying to figure this out with a co-worker, but sometimes my logic/math skills are fuzzy.
Assuming you are on a fixed salary, doesn't an extra day in the month / year just mean you are working that day for free?

No. Not unless you get paid once a year for the entirety of the year.

Last edited:

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No. Not unless you get paid once a year for the entirety of the year.

What if you get paid once a month for the entirety of the month? Not that it would make sense, you are being paid for 365 days and you do 366 (on a fixed salary, anyone paid per hour isn't affected).

Last edited:

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What if you get paid once a month for the entirety of the month? Not that it would make sense, you are being paid for 365 days and you do 366 (on a fixed salary, anyone paid per hour isn't affected).

That's what I'm thinking.

I get paid twice a month - the 15th and the last day of the month.

I suppose people that just get paid every two weeks (e.g. every other Friday) would not be impacted.

hobo style

Reaction score
I suppose people that just get paid every two weeks (e.g. every other Friday) would not be impacted.

If you are hourly, you get paid to work today. If you are salaried, you are working for free -- doesn't matter if you are paid bi-weekly or semi-monthly. Or perhaps your salary is based on a 366-day year and you are getting a bonus in non-leap years.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's what I'm thinking.
I get paid twice a month - the 15th and the last day of the month.

Fair enough. I suppose I should have been more thorough with my flippant remark.

Let me put it another way: The fact that you're on a fixed annual salary doesn't automatically mean you're "working for free."

If you are hourly, you get paid to work today. If you are salaried, you are working for free -- doesn't matter if you are paid bi-weekly or semi-monthly. Or perhaps your salary is based on a 366-day year and you are getting a bonus in non-leap years.

No, this isn't true. As shown above, there are ways it could be constructed that one could argue they're "working for free," but there's nothing inherent about being salaried that makes it the case.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say, if indeed your pay structure leads to working for free today, you should talk to your boss or HR, and sort that out.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I would say, if indeed your pay structure leads to working for free today, you should talk to your boss or HR, and sort that out.

The only people who would actually have a gripe would be people whose employment terms state that their salary is based on a day-length year, which isn't how a year is actually measured. It's a novel concept to be upset that one is "working for free," but it's really academic.

Moreover, a "year" is technically 365.25 days, so a leap year is just repaying the debt you'd owe to your employer if you've been working 365-day years for the last three.

hobo style

Reaction score
I agree that this whole line of reasoning is silly -- I thought I was kind of getting at that in my previous posts. Apparently I need to make more frequent use of emoticons.

DannyJman

Reaction score
I was working...But got let off early during the day..It was all Winning!

wellsronald18

Reaction score
Absolutely not!
bigstar[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads