lean toned swimmers build

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by thirteenth, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

My fraternity was almost half swimmers and water polo players. I have never seen a group of guys smoke more pot, blow more coke and drink more beer. They all looked to be in good shape, but it was not from clean living.

Its nice to know I could be an incredible a swimmer, except for the part about swimming...

2. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

Practice Bikram Yoga and you'll like like this.

[​IMG]

3. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Senior member

Light weights, long low-intensity cardio, NO alcohol (ever again), massive calorie restrictrion. If you're over 25 forget it.
    That's a pretty narrow minded outlook. Everyone's genetic make up is different. I just turned 35 and am leaner and in better shape than the majority of 20 year olds, without even trying all that hard..

4. whacked

whacked Senior member

My tastes run more to Amanda Beard. [​IMG]
    Upon which we shall agree. [​IMG]

That's a pretty narrow minded outlook. Everyone's genetic make up is different. I just turned 35 and am leaner and in better shape than the majority of 20 year olds, without even trying all that hard..
    +1. Getting fit is not a perfect science, unlike what greg_atlanta keeps telling us. [​IMG]

5. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

ha!

if you swim a lot, you will end up eating a lot, and still get toned.

I've never been any kind of competitive swimmer, but I've heard this from a number of sources. I remember reading a fitness article describing the diet of a guy who was on the US Olympic team--more than 8000 calories/day.

6. LSeca

LSeca Senior member

Swimmers are lean, but usually not as toned for the level of fitness they have. Their bodies will store a thin layer of fat to act as insulation from the cold water over time. Professional runners, for example, will be more toned than the professional swimmer.

7. whacked

whacked Senior member

I've never been any kind of competitive swimmer, but I've heard this from a number of sources. I remember reading a fitness article describing the diet of a guy who was on the US Olympic team--more than 8000 calories/day.
    So true. The chair of our school P.E. department once told me the X-country runners need upward of 5000 calories a day during periods of heavy training/competition. And they're all rail thin. [​IMG]

Swimmers are lean, but usually not as toned for the level of fitness they have. Their bodies will store a thin layer of fat to act as insulation from the cold water over time. Professional runners, for example, will be more toned than the professional swimmer.
    Good point. Also, running is a bodyweight exercise, thus burns calories at a significantly faster rate.

8. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Practice Bikram Yoga and you'll like like this. [​IMG]
    ...disgusting?
    True, it also builds bone density, something swimmers lack. They might survive global warming with their swimming skills, but they'll snap like toothpicks GODDAMN TOOTHPICKS.

9. hchamp

hchamp Senior member

Light weights, long low-intensity cardio, NO alcohol (ever again), massive calorie restrictrion. If you're over 25 forget it.

I'm > 25, swim 3 to 4 times a week, and am still the same weight I was 15 years ago. Swimming won't make you bulky or really cut like a bodybuilder, but it will keep you lean and give you pretty good upper body definition. It's a great way to get in shape. And you can still drink and eat junk - in moderation.

10. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

+1, since I have started watching my diet and cutting out what I consider to be bad stuff through my own research, I lost a ton of weight and look years younger, and I'm in my mid 20s.

I think, with the right diet, supplements, etc, you can get the look you want for a while.

11. kakemono

kakemono Senior member

Well, the best swimmers have a similar bone structure where they generally have very wide shoulders. That is genetic, but the lean part... the above posts

12. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

For what it's worth, my wife and just about every other woman I've known range anywhere from indifferent to turned off by the competetive level bodybuilder physique, but go absolutely ga-ga during the men's Olympic swimming events.

Something to keep in mind, based on my experience.

13. nioh

nioh Senior member

Total bs.

+2

Or do full body functional workouts

Indeed. ~6 months of intense gym workout and slight bulk should be enough if you're a beginner with an average male body. Diet and do cardio until you've reached your desired level of body fat, don't forget to keep working those weights. Voilà .

14. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

For what it's worth, my wife and just about every other woman I've known range anywhere from indifferent to turned off by the competetive level bodybuilder physique, but go absolutely ga-ga during the men's Olympic swimming events.

+1. And every gay man I know, as well.

15. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

yup. i look back and can't believe how much i was eating from age 13 to 18. Every dinner was a double serving of everything. Looking back, it was insane - I swam full-time in the summer and winter (club and highschool), played soccer for 2 teams in the fall (club and highschool) and spring (club and high school practice squad). The calorie demands were just extreme.

I always think about going back to that exercise lifestyle, but 2 or 3 hours a day of excercise is a little too much with a full time job and night school. But it was fun while I was doing it.