• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Le De Bonne Facture Thread

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s been your guys’ experiences with DBF sizing for tops? From the SS20 pieces I got, I found myself to be a Large in knits and Tees but a Medium/Size 48 in outerwear. With that being said, I’m looking to pre-order a size 48 in the Grandad Trench Coat, and I would appreciate any insight and help as I want to make sure the sizing is right and the coat can potentially fit a few layers underneath.
The big coats are oversized. I got a wool mac last year and I got a 48/M. I'm usually a large in DBF

Strumbeck

Reaction score
The big coats are oversized. I got a wool mac last year and I got a 48/M. I'm usually a large in DBF
Would you say 48 is perfect or still oversized?
I am usually L/50 in jackets, but would like the grandad coat to have an oversized look. But not too extreme. I’m considering 48 or 50.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you say 48 is perfect or still oversized?
I am usually L/50 in jackets, but would like the grandad coat to have an oversized look. But not too extreme. I’m considering 48 or 50.
It is oversized but it depends on if you want to wear layers underneath it or have it fit more tailored. I got mine to fit with layers (sweaters, another jacket, etc.) underneath. Make sure you email them. Nicolas is real helpful with answering any questions.

Strumbeck

Reaction score
It is oversized but it depends on if you want to wear layers underneath it or have it fit more tailored. I got mine to fit with layers (sweaters, another jacket, etc.) underneath. Make sure you email them. Nicolas is real helpful with answering any questions.
Thank you! Yes he is super helpful, but I’m bying it from another store this time (it’s the aw19 in herringbone).
Yeah I’d like to wear it with a jacket underneath.
Are you happy with the mac?

Last edited:

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Yes he is super helpful, but I’m bying it from another store this time (it’s the aw19 in herringbone).
Yeah I’d like to wear it with a jacket underneath.
Are you happy with the mac?
I am happy with it. I have a handful of DBF coats. That is what they do best

TheVirt

Reaction score
Ive never owned a long coat. I’m 5’9.5 am I too short?
IMG_6495.JPG IMG_6493.JPG
I'm 5' 7" without shoes, 5' 8" with dress shoes, 36S in tailoring. I got a 46 in the navy GD; length seems a little bit on the longer/more dramatic side but still not too exaggerated in my opinion. Angles can throw things off.
Shorten the coat and use the material for a spare coat belt.

I don't think height is an insurmountable obstacle though, there's no shortage of great looking way shorter people with way bigger coats. As with most things, the answer is: bigger trousers, to even things out. And embracing being swallowed, feels great.
The belt idea is a pretty decent one actually, I kinda wish the belt were longer. But it's sooo cozy in the winter.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No that is how it should fit, looks majestic like

TheVirt

Reaction score
Well I guess I'm not shortening it then hahaha

Some other notes I've learned from wearing it for a year – the fit is very generous, but tying the belt behind loosely is a great way to give it some figure. The belt actually has a strip of the coating cloth firmly stitched through the back loop so it won't fall off somehow. The underside of the collar has some zigzag stitching as well, which I believe is to help it stand up – works great when closed, but does fall flat sometimes when worn open. The lining is just labeled as viscose from what I can find on the tag but it's the softest, silkiest lining that I've encountered in my (admittedly limited) experience. Two internal pockets as well, moderately sized. And the lapel roll is almost like the stuff I see on bespoke.

If anyone else was still on the fence about this coat – it wouldn't be hyperbole to say that there are some days where I just take it off its hanger, throw it on indoors, and marvel at it before putting it back in the closet. And then I do it again. And maybe once more a few hours later. A whole year after I've bought it. That being said, I got mine for just a bit over half the price of this new alpaca model, and that was still almost half a month's rent for a grad school student. So maybe this new pre-order will hit your wallet the same way it did mine for the full *~*experience*~*

Last edited:

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The harris tweed mac is an incredible piece as is the shearling vest. I've saw them at the man/woman show. I felt my pockets melting.

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F129422B-6728-4946-AC76-8A0CB6E0C862.jpeg
25C800FC-501C-4656-AF56-A31309FC7E28.jpeg
Could use some help with sizing. Grabbed the tibetan coat and sized down one from my usual 52 to a 50. Wondering if i ought to go down one more to a 48 or stick with the 50? Am i defeating the purpose of an oversized fit if i go down two sizes?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads