• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Le Creuset

arced

Reaction score
Just a note, if you break your LC, they'll replace it at 75% off (I think that's right...). When our 5.5 quart got knocked off the counter and landed on the handle, it ended up with a huge crack down the side. In the end, the replacement was still expensive, but I appreciated the service and love the pot.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
^I still follow the old chestnut about not cooking tomatoes and acidic foods in cast iron.

+1 on tomatoes and acidic food in cast iron

-1 for enameled cast iron. I use my 3.5 q bi-weekly to make tomato sauce w/o any problems. The Le Creuset produces just this perfect even simmer and it looks damn good in the kitchen.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few pieces and use the larger dutch ovens the most. I wouldn't get a full set just 1 or 2 larger pieces for braises and stews, depending on how much of food you generally cook at once. Make sure your wife is comfortable handling the larger pieces as they can get quite heavy. I also cook rice in my pots. Once the pot is fully heated only the lowest heat is required to maintain a simmer so there may be some potential energy savings as well.
Most of the stuff I've seen at the outlet is damaged or has cosmetic flaws. Don't know if any of it's made specifically for the outlet. Haven't bought any of the enameled cast iron there, just a few accessories.
I bought my pieces from several stores, including the Le Crouset factory store and did not find a difference in quality though some of the factory store pots may have a couple of scratches or tiny spots of color enamel on the inside. Last time I visited the Woodbury Commons factory store they had leftover pieces in discontinued colors at a significant discount as well as the full line in current colors at close to retail prices.
Originally Posted by Manton
I agree that LC is a good braiser, the problem is, anything worth braising has to be browned first, and it sucks at that. Also, braising really requires no performance features that I can see, and AC braises just as well, if you ask me.
Are you referring to the time it takes to brown things? I noticed it sometimes takes a while though I have not conducted tests comparing Le Cruset to SS-lined pans.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
+1 on the rice, I use my 1.5q for rice quite often, the hardest part is getting my stove to the absolute lowest flame level. When you're done, stick the lid on and it'll stay hot throughout dinner and beyond.

Also, when the hot summer rolls around and I have people over, I stick my 2q in the freezer for a little bit and then use it to serve fruit salad, etc. Perfection.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a LC 3.5q for braising and it does a decent job of that, but I agree with Manton that it sucks for braising. I also own an AC 10" fry pan as well as a the enameled LC fry pan, and both are good but ofr different uses. I use the AC more often though.

I got my LC from Bloomingdales during the 50% off sale in august. It's a rip off at retail.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you've gotten the message on the dutch oven, but let me tell you about my favorite LC piece:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...are-le-creuset

Best lasagna pan ever. I use it for several other things, but you can't beat it for lasagna - it has depth that I just have not found in other pans. I once brought that pan with me on a visit home and my own mother commandeered it on the spot.

If you want to experiment, LC usually has 1 or 2 trial pieces each season that you can find at specialty kitchen stores. These pieces are typically smaller and sell at a discount. It can let you try a 7" cast iron skillet without having to go the full monty.

LC also has some outlet stores that sell factory seconds. Most of the imperfections in finish are so small as to be unseen. great way to pick up functional pieces without the investment if you are looking to experiment with cast iron or just their stoneware line.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Appreciate all the comments. I think she's getting delirious with the amount of storage space our new kitchen will have. Agreed, wise choices > full set. I was looking at the fry pan thinking how nice a blistering hot, enamel coated cast iron pan would cook foie
smile.gif

We have a dutch oven and my wife swears by it. I swear at it. It's heavy as all **** and I'm always the one washing it. When we have a bigger kitchen, my wife will act just like yours.

I want the fry pan, like you said.

Edit: we also keep salt in a couple different tiny Le Creuset pots. Kinda like ramekins but with lids (sp?).
b

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Cooks Illustrated reviewed dutch ovens a while back and rated the LC tops but found that the Lodge and Tratamonita produce almost identical results at a fraction of the price. I picked up the Tratamonita at Hell-Mart for $40 and it's been a rock solid performer. Holds more than the Lodge for less money too.

I've tried out the LC frying pans and they're a waste of money. Stainless steel will net you similar or better results and have much more versatility.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo

I've tried out the LC frying pans and they're a waste of money. Stainless steel will net you similar or better results and have much more versatility.

I have stainless steel fry pans. And a LC fry pan. Different uses for different pans.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's mostly all way overpriced and used be cooks who know more about bakeware than the food they're preparing.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
What do you cook in the LC? I have an enameled LC skillet and never use it.

I use my SS skillet for eggs, stir fry, sauteeing fish, and anything relatively delicate or that needs to be in a pan that will have to be picked up as there is no way in hell I can do a fancy flip in the cast iron thing.

I use the LC for frying, searing, meats (like steak - I don't have a grill in NYC), sausages, Sunday morning potatoes, etc. My favorite is shrimp that has been dipped in egg and then bread crumps. Put a small layer of oil in the LC and let the shrimp get nice and crispy. I prefer the LC for this because it just holds the heat when you add food, my SS stuff just dips in temperature when you load it up. My LC also has an enameled coating, but it's not like my Dutch ovens and takes quite a bit of use to really break in and become non-stick.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
It's mostly all way overpriced and used be cooks who know more about bakeware than the food they're preparing.

Over a 20-year period, the price of a piece that consistently performs like LC is quite marginal. When I bought my pieces 2-3 years ago, I called them overpriced. Right now I call them a great investment.

RJE

Reaction score
Many years ago, just pre-marriage, I was looking at a set of LC and noted the offer in the literature to replace the lid handles (black, like bakelite) should they ever break. I wondered aloud, "they break?" and then immediately - and completely accidentally! - dropped the lid. Landed on the handle, handle shattered. I've found the saucepans useless, the skillets marginally less so as they can go into the oven (if your oven is big enough) - but you need a strong wrist to hold the big skillets by the handle alone. The dutch ovens/ casserole dishes have been the most useful items, good for cooking on the stove-pot then going into the oven, then to table.

People inevitably buy items like this in the early years; cooking sets, dinner services, tableware. But at that point, you haven't worked out how you're going to use these items (style of cooking and hosting), let alone established your taste, and inevitably you make a lot of expensive mistakes. Acquaintances and I now buy mid-range department store branded non-stick saucepans sets when they're on sale at about half-price (eg 5pc set down from US$300 to $150), maybe with a few extra pieces (bigger saucepans/skillets), and expect to replace them in about 5 years, and to accept that a few items won't match over time.

The antique French copper pans all like nice in the kitchen, but I never use them. Same with dinner services - we rarely use a mid-range set like Wedgwood Columbia Sage, let alone the good sets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads