• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lazymen, Chores, & Blousons: a thread for a new form of tailoring

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have jackets like these, do you wear them indoors (like you would a sport coat) or only as outerwear? I have only one chore jacket at this point and only wear it as outerwear.
I have quite a few overshirts that I wear indoors, but to me a chore coat reads much more specifically as outerwear so I would only wear those as such. Depends on the specific model, of course. I'm just speaking generally

Overshirt
drakes-navy-cotton-overshirt.jpg

Chore coat
untitled_session6663_lr_1.jpg

This kind of streamlined Trachten/alpine jacket is also an option for the aesthetic discussed in this thread. It can take a bit more structure while remaining pretty casual, I think.

View attachment 1662196
I actually do like these. I've considered buying one from Weber + Weber before, but they are fairly expensive. The collar can be folded down (like a normal sport coat) to give off less of a Mao Zedong vibe
Weber_Weber-Boiled-Wool-WW-Travel-Blazer-MidnightBlue-1LR_1920x.jpg

Weber_Weber-Boiled-Wool-WW-Travel-Blazer-MidnightBlue-2LR_1920x.jpg

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about wearing them because you like them?

Of course, but there are occasions in my work where wearing a structured jacket would be inappropriate, but I don't wanna go down that rabbit hole...My strategy is to balance what I want to wear with what is appropriate. When I started in my field it was ties required, and now even the CEOs don't wear ties to their own annual financial presentations...so for me, unstructured jackets such as this work well and lend a more polished appearance than just a shirt or a V-neck sweater.

(The version I have just has patch pockets, no flap, so it's suitable for indoor wear as well as light outerwear)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If jeans were more comfortable, people would buy denim pyjamas. Just because you feel good about yourself because you're wearing $500 japanese unicorn denim doesn't make them more comfortable than other materials.
It is precisely trying to force a too casual piece into a CM outfit that looks forced and stands out too much. For example, the baseball cap with sportcoat examples look ridiculous and too try-hard.
I think it's been mentioned in the other related threads - although the idea is fine, the lack of structure is just unflattering on most body types. Just wear a tailored jacket or wear a casual jacket. Stop trying to fit a square into a round hole.
How about wearing them because you like them?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got this Caruso linen-silk overshirt. Nice piece of clothing. Should work well late summer and early fall.

1630599013579.png

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fox Brothers reissued their wool Tebas. I like the solid brown one myself. Pricey like all Fox stuff of course. Will need to relook wardrobe and see if I can use it.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Oh, I like tebas. Patches, straight hems, notchless lapels, light structure...

Really, I just want casual outerwear with lapels. At least for fall/spring -- no need to cover up my uppper chest and neck, let me show a bit of the shirt layer. Better yet, give me a light enough lapelled jacket I can wear a runaway collar with. I'm not going to wear my charcoal worsted suit with a funky rayon camp, I need something very distinctly casual, and the straight hem and notchless lapels of a light linen teba are instantly casual -- I could wear a teba with a runaway collar and nobody would act confused, nobody would say "why are you so dressed up" -- the intent would actually be clear.

notdos

Reaction score
Never owned this style jacket/coat. Figured I’d try one out. Ordered this one from SuSu. Navy Corduroy.

Phillip

1632699163794.jpeg

spdr_monkey

Reaction score
First post, like many people i'm a recovering suit wearer trying to keep some of the nice things about tailoring in an increasingly casual environment, and came across this thread.

Does anyone have an opinion on the brown herringbone Teba from Fox - I'm going to add one of those to my collection but not sure if that's going to be a difficult colour to wear, or if the char brown one is easier.

Over the past few months I've bought quite a few of the jacket alternatives and so far I'm having most success with tebas as a strict sport coat replacement - I love chore coats and have several from Drakes but can't really wear them in exactly the same way, I also love the lazyman from the anthology but it feels more like knitwear than a jacket to me. Going to pick up a city hunter from the armoury to see how that is. Any other suggestions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads