1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

layering with polo

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by badger_badger, Sep 2, 2006.

1. badger_badger

badger_badger Member

what can i layer OVER a polo in a chilly weather

i don't know if sweaters are gonna work and same with button ups

2. chrisc

chrisc Well-Known Member

Sweaters can work if it's a half or a full zip. Cardigans can be used as well (though go for a more fitted fit than your grandfather's baggy one.)

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Stylish Dinosaur

I personally would stick to cardies, sweaters, coats and scarves. Sweaters may or may not work, depending on fabric/design. Zippered ones as already mentioned, definitely. Crew neck, possibly. V-neck, not convinced personally. Buttoned shirts layer better over T-shirts than polos in my opinion.

4. Will

Will Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Two polos worn under an BroBroClo oxford cloth button-down.

5. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I layer t-shirts, longsleeved or short, over polos all the time. A v-neck works especially well.

6. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

I can't see why any decent stylish cool weather item would not work with a polo. Perhaps you shoulld post a picture of what you're thinking of going over a polo.

7. mrchapel

mrchapel Senior Member

A v-neck sweater would work. Also, I'd try making the polo shirt the outerpiece with a long sleeved shirt underneath the polo. Alternatively, the long sleeve shirt could be a buttonless henley and/or a long sleeved thermal shirt.

8. badger_badger

badger_badger Member

mrchapel- thanks i think i'm going to try that look

and for those of you who suggested v-neck sweaters, would i tuck in my polo as i would if i were wearing a button down underneath? do i keep my collar under the sweater or is it ok for the collar to be hanging out?

thanks

9. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Distinguished Member

Personal preference, although if you're slim and it is long enough, tucking in the polo could keep it from causing the sweater to bunch up.

10. styleoasis

styleoasis Active Member

As you've seen from the responses above, there are a lot of possibilities for keeping up your polos during the cold weather. I have actually had good luck with sweaters and polos, although it looks best in my opinion if you wear a complementing sweater and polo.