• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Makasa

Reaction score
hey all.
What’s everyone’s advice/opinion on layering underneath leather jackets
Meaning...
Before you purchase a new jacket do you take layering into consideration? Do you size up for this? Will layering affect the shoulder size as well as chest and arms? Does the leather stretching come into consideration?
Ideally, thick hoodie/sweatshirt-leather-vest combo sounds good for those cold months.

Last edited:

0ldb0y

Reaction score
I don't buy a leather jacket with the intent of layering. I want my jacket to fit snug to the body and break-in nicely over time, hence I stay TTS.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have some jackets that are designed to be worn a little closer to the body and others where I would need to layer something thick underneath. I don't know if leather is different from any other kind of outerwear in that regard.

papillo

Reaction score
hey all.
What’s everyone’s advice/opinion on layering underneath leather jackets
Meaning...
Before you purchase a new jacket do you take layering into consideration? Do you size up for this? Will layering affect the shoulder size as well as chest and arms? Does the leather stretching come into consideration?
Ideally, thick hoodie/sweatshirt-leather-vest combo sounds good for those cold months.
I do take what i would wear underneath it into consideration for the most part. Depending on the style of the jacket, i may want to go as small as possible if its a lighter leather jacket that i intend to wear with just a t-shirt underneath, but for more substantial jackets that i will wear in colder weather, i bought a size up to fit hoodies and turtlenecks underneath comfortably.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 59 17.5%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 112 33.2%
  • 8”

Votes: 102 30.3%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.7%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%