1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Lawyers - PC or Mac?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by ruzzi, Jul 20, 2011.

Lawyers - PC or Mac?

1. PC

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. Mac

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. Ghast

Ghast Member

PC, always and forever. I don't use any Apple products.

2. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

always mac ... there is nothing that cant be done on a mac now and everything is easily transitional between both pc and mac

3. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

wow i voted for wrong one lol correct my things its a mac NOT a pc haha

4. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

It sounds like there's going to be a higher risk of problems vs guaranteed small benefits, I'd say choose a PC.

I'm just an associate, but partners would not appreciate dealing with MY mac problems. If you're general counsel and capable enough of telling CEO, CFO to wait while you get a problem sorted out, then do it.

5. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I run my practice from my Mac laptop and IPhone. It's great.

Mac's word processor is significantly better than Word and wholly comparable with it. Macs can save files directly as PDFs. My billing and time tracking software was $30 and syncs with my phone. I use Dropbox for my files.

I really don't think it matters. use whatever the hell you want. For my own practice, Macs work great.

6. javyn

javyn Senior member

What about other specialty software, Trial Director, CT Summation, West CaseLogistix, etc.? I don't understand how these days a lawyer doesn't need anything but a word processor and some cheap billing software.

How do you prepare, index, keep track of discovery? Excel spreadsheets? Good God man, that would be like going back to the dark ages.

7. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

My guess is that my criminal defense practice is simpler and easier to keep track of without such software than your practice area?

8. javyn

javyn Senior member

Patent litigation, yeah gets pretty document intensive I guess. I just always assume other areas of law are going to be like this heh.

Right now, I'm indexing and documenting Defendants' document production served w/ their Invalidity Contentions. When I started here we used Excel spreadsheets for our indexing and it was a total nightmare and made my life miserable.

We just got West's Case Logistix and I have to say, the task has actually turned into a joy. Custom tagging document production is brilliant!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  9. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Patent litigation sounds like a nightmare. Give me drug dealers any day. :happy:

10. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I use PCs in the office and have an ipad that I take to court with all of my files on dropbox so that I can easily access any document in court.

11. javyn

javyn Senior member

Does the court actually let you bring an iPad in there?

Last time I was in a Federal Court several years ago they wouldn't let me in with my cell phone because it had a camera.

12. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Yes. And if somebody wants to be a smartass and not let me in with it, I'll go to the judge that I'm before and get an order.

13. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

Attorneys are permitted to bring in cell phones down here. Same runs for laptops, iPads, Ipods, whatever.

14. javyn

javyn Senior member

Well back when the Blackberry was a brand new thing, the SD of TX Federal Court\ wouldn't let you in with a camera on your phone.

Since I don't even think you can buy a phone w/o a cam anymore, I guess they relaxed that.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011