Lawyers: Could you kill someone who breaks into your house?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by LuxeStyles, Aug 21, 2009.

1. DNW

DNW Senior member

The point is that it doesn't really have much to do with them. If you murder someone, the state will prosecute you whether the victim wanted a prosecution or not. The only way you could take away the victim's "standing" is to say that they ceased to be a human being on account of their actions.

I'm not aware of this defense. Is it a Canadian thing?

2. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

Where I live, Texas, you can also use deadly force to defend not only yourself but your property (during the hours of darkness). I remember a case a few years ago where a property owner was having cinder blocks or some such thing repeatedly stolen from his fenced in property. He laid in wait on the roof during the night waiting for the thieves. He fell asleep and was awakened as the thieves were driving away from his lot with a pickup full of cinder blocks. He shot and killed the driver with his deer rifle. As I recall he was not charged with any crime. Although I can understand the owners frustration I'm don't think I'd kill someone over cinder blocks. I think I would have held the thieves at gunpoint and then called the po po.

3. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

I'm not aware of this defense. Is it a Canadian thing?
    Yes, it allows for our long-standing cultural practice of turning criminals into house pets.

4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

HBT = Heterojunction Bipolar Transistor?

Close. It's Bionic.

5. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

are you permitted to break into a burglar's home to retrieve your stolen goods?
    or would you be charged with possession of stolen property?
    can you kill yourself in self-defense (i am thinking pre-emptive strike here)

this is not illegal advice

6. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

probably wouldn't be charged with possession of stolen property, but you might get a B&E.

as for killing yourself in self-defense, the prosecutor would not be able to prosecute that.

7. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

The trick to home/burglar shootings is not to hang yourself afterwards. So if you do shoot someone in your house, your account to the police is:

"Lawyer--I want one."

8. denimdestroyedmylife

so i was talking to this guy, a 72-year-old ex-marine about home invasion/execution just yesterday. he gave me some advice. he said that when you hear the ruffle duffle (five minutes it lasted) of a burglar, do NOT go looking for him. instead, retrieve the handgun from under your (dan marino) pillow and kneel down behind your bed, bracing yourself against the mattress, and wait for the motherfather to enter your room. then fire twice into his chest area. then fire a warning shot.

he stressed that the burglar should be in your home when you execute him because it is not kosher to shoot a retreating/escaping burglar. bad form. faux pas.

also, he said that if you catch the dude (it is gonna be a dude, not some foxy lady in latex) en flagrante, fire at him and then pull him through the window or whatever. then call the po-pos. or if you shoot him outside, drag him in.

he suggested a revolver because blah...

9. denimdestroyedmylife

The trick to home/burglar shootings is not to hang yourself afterwards.
    that could be construed as a guilty conscience. my defense would be auto-erotic asphyxiation

10. denimdestroyedmylife

probably wouldn't be charged with possession of stolen property, but you might get a B&E.
    Butt Entry?! [​IMG]

11. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Personally, I think you all HBT.

But I'd say Piobaire has it correct. It all depends.
    Although when I first read the thread title, my interpretation was more like Benzito's.

FTFY. [​IMG]

13. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

are you permitted to break into a burglar's home to retrieve your stolen goods? this is not illegal advice
    reminds me of a joke why do white people go to black people's garage sales? To get their stuff back (no klansmen) and the thing about shooting to hurt (in leg etc)...doubt anyone who is being robbed would have the steady hand and nerves to do that when confronted. sounds like a scene from a bad tv show. besides if you're going to shoot, shoot to kill as dead men cannot sue you later but this is a topic I've had a lot of discussion with friends over the years & I have few guns within reach of my bedside just in case (and a 500+ year old japanese sword which might be more effective in scaring an unarmed burgler)

14. N.N.O.P

N.N.O.P Well-Known Member

i was informed that you could kill 'em, then put a weapon in their hand, then call the law...........but don't take my word for it.

15. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

so i was talking to this guy, a 72-year-old former-marine about home invasion/execution just yesterday.
    he suggested a revolver because blah...

FTFY[​IMG]