1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Law Schools - Where and Why?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by El Argentino, Nov 2, 2011.

1. sns23

sns23 Senior member

That has to be one of the stupidest things i have ever heard.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. godofcoffee

godofcoffee Senior member

Really? This actually seems very reasonable to me. What's the problem?

3. sns23

sns23 Senior member

Dropping out of law school half way just because OCI did not produce a job (which they do not for most people). Especially dumb when you have a full tuition scholarship and can get a degree for the cost of living. Then again, the original could be stupid and have a bad GPA (below 3.5)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  4. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

5. godofcoffee

godofcoffee Senior member

I wouldn't have gone to law school if biglaw were unlikely; and, as far as I know, biglaw is virtually impossible except through OCI. If he doesn't want to be a small-town lawyer, what's wrong with getting out early and saving himself the opportunity cost/pain of law school? That's assuming that he can't get a clerkship (which he probably can't if he can't get a biglaw job) and he doesn't want to do something lower key; also assuming that he doesn't love law school.

In other news, I just finished the bluebook test at my school and have never been less optimistic about the structure of the profession.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  6. bartleby929

bartleby929 Senior member

Yep. I'm still pretty young so I don't need to do it for 1.5 more years if I'm not going to get paid well enough. People who are not in law school really do not understand how rough the legal market is. I love law school but I think practicing is reaaaalllyyyy different from reading cases.

7. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

8. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I just got an e-mail from the new president of our LS alumni association. One of the things she did (naturally) was hit us up for donations. She mentioned this sobering statistic: in the decade since she (and I) graduated from law school, the tuition has more than quadrupled (from $11K per year to $46K per year).

I was stunned. I always thought that my school was a relative bargain in the law school world. Not any more.

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

PM if necessary - where'd you go?

10. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Every school has gone up like crazy.

11. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

:facepalm: ughhh.. don't remind me.

12. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

UC Davis.

13. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Anybody have advice on prepping for the LSAT? I have 4 months to go and just started studying. Took 3 practice tests already, went -0-2 on RC, -1-3 on LR and.... -6-10 on LG :embar: (never finish...).

14. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

I absolutely sucked at logic games. With enough practice, you can get to -0 or -1 consistently. Do you have any prep material? The Logic Game Bible is pretty solid.

15. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I was a beast at logic games but awful at everything else. Just keep practicing them. However, I do feel you either get them or dont.

16. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I've taken every test from 9 -63 .... and have many of the old tests in PDF. I did some tutoring in my days while studying ... there is a method to everything on the LSAT. I studied it maniacally, taking a timed practice test every day for 2 weeks before my actual test, among other things. It's all patterns, recognition and execution. Needless to say I got results.... PM me if you (anyone) have questions.

17. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Time is the main enemy in the test. None of the questions you encounter are "hard" - they're all answerable, but it's getting it done in 35 minutes that puts pressure on your brain. LG is just as learnable as any other section of the test. I remember the first time I hit an entire section at only -1 and wanted to jump up in the library and scream like a maniac. Practice, practice, practice, but also don't overload yourself. Give your brain time to rest.

18. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

The best advice I can give is not to go to law school.

If you must go and take the LSAT, buy a lot of tests that were previously given and take them under test circumstances.

19. sns23

sns23 Senior member

True. There are only a few ways to get a decent job upon graduation.

1. Finish top 5% of the class, and even then you have a 50/50 chance of landing a decent job
    2. Have an incredibly close family member with a lot of pull at a firm.
    3. Be a double or triple minority. (black, female, etc)

20. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Yes I've been going over the LG Bible... Also have a LR Bible, official prep and "10 LSAT tests".

KidNickels: will PM you.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012